Caramel apple pie is not your average homemade apple pie. It is so unique! You’ll be hooked after just one bite of its caramely goodness! This really easy from scratch recipe will easily become your go to apple pie.
For a long time I really didn’t care for apple pie. When I was about 5 or 6 years old , my family went to a party at our church. I don’t remember anything in particular about this party except for the food. I vividly remember that vegetable soup, rolls and apple pie were what was served. Sadly I don’t remember this because the food was so good. The soup was so salty, the rolls were dry and hard and the apple pie was the worst of all. It was so packed with cloves that it made me sick. Seriously, I was SO sick. So I steered clear of apple pie for many years. However, in my recipe searching a few years ago I came across a recipe that was different. I was looking on allrecipes.com and found Grandma Ople’s Apple Pie. It didn’t call for cinnamon, nutmeg, or cloves. No cloves!!! I was so excited! After trying it and making just a few adjustments, I had the perfect apple pie recipe. This caramel apple pie has converted many apple pie disliking people into apple pie loving people! It is truly the best apple pie you will ever eat!
You’ll need enough pie dough for a double crust 9 inch pie for this recipe. Follow this link for the recipe to my Homemade Pie Crust. Prepare the pie crust. Line the bottom of of the pie plate and have the top crust ready to cover the pie. Set aside. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Peel and slice 4 to 5 apples (galas are my preference). You’ll need about 4 1/2 cups of sliced apples. Dump the sliced apples into the pie crust lined pie plate.
For the caramel sauce, melt the butter in a small sauce pot. Whisk in the flour to form a paste. Dump both sugars and water in all at last and whisk until smooth. Simmer the caramel sauce for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and pour over the apples. Cover the pie with the top crust, and cut slits in the top for steam vents. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 40 minutes. Cool the baked pie on a cooking rack. I think this pie is best when it is still a little warm and served with vanilla ice cream.Print
Caramel apple pie is not your average apple pie. It is better. You’ll be hooked after just one bite of it’s caramely goodness!
- Unbaked Pie Dough for a 9 inch double crust pie
- ½ Cup Butter (no subs)
- 3 Tbs . Flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- 4 1/2 Cups Sliced Gala Apples (about 4 or 5 apples)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare your crusts. Line the bottom of the pie plate with the bottom crust. Have the top crust rolled out and ready to cover the pie. Set aside.
- Peel and slice the apples thinly. Dump into the prepared pie plate.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour to form a paste. Add white sugar, brown sugar, and water all at once. Whisk until smooth and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour slowly over the apples in the pie plate.
- Cover the pie with the top crust and make slits for steam to escape.
- Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Reduce the temperature to 350 and continue to bake for another 40 minutes.
- Cool pie on a cooling rack.
Adapted from: Grandma Ople Apple Pie
Keywords: Apple pie, thanksgiving, pie
Have you tried this recipe? If so, leave me a rating above and a comment below!
Other recipes I know you’ll love!
Don’t forget to subscribe to get my newest recipes sent right to your email!
ANY NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS ON THIS SITE IS BASED ON AN ESTIMATE, CALCULATED BY NURTIFOX PLUGIN (OR OTHER THIRD-PARTY SOURCE) FROM THE INDIVIDUAL INGREDIENTS IN EACH RECIPE. VARIATIONS MAY OCCUR FOR VARIOUS REASONS, INCLUDING PRODUCT AVAILABILITY AND FOOD PREPARATION. WE MAKE NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF THE ACCURACY OF THIS INFORMATION.