These candy cane-like peppermint cookies melt in your mouth! Don't forget to add these Peppermint Melt Aways to your baking list this season!
I love these pretty Peppermint Melt Away cookies! If you're looking for a quick, last-minute cookie idea, then check these out! They are a candy cane-like peppermint cookie that just melts in your mouth.
These have the texture and feel of a pecan sandy cookie, without the nuts, of course, and last for days. If you're feeling creative, you can even roll the dough into ropes and twist them up to look like candy canes!
How to make these peppermint cookies:
- After you mix up the cookie dough, remove half the dough from your mixing bowl. Add the almond extract to the remaining dough in the bowl. Mix well, remove from the bowl, and set aside. Put the half of dough first removed from the bowl, back in the mixing bowl. Mix in red food coloring and the peppermint extract.
- Just a note here about the peppermint. If you are using a peppermint flavoring oil (no, not peppermint essential oil) instead of peppermint extract, only add half of what the recipe calls for. Flavoring oil is much more potent than extract.
- Divide each color of dough in half. I find it best to work with half the dough at a time so the colors don't become over-mixed. Knead half the white and half the red together just until it becomes slightly marbled. Roll out the dough to a ¼ inch thick.
- Using a 2-inch circle cookie cutter, cut out as many circles as you can. Without kneading, press the dough scraps together, roll out, and cut out again. Repeat with the remaining halves of the dough. Place the cookies on lightly greased baking sheets and bake at 375 for 8 to 10 minutes. The bottom edges with just begin to brown. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
How to store these cookies:
I store mine in a ziploc bag on my countertop. They are good for 7-10 days.
Can you freeze peppermint cookies?
Yes, just pack the completely cooled cookies in a Ziploc freezer bag and pop them in the freezer.
A few of my other FAVORITE Christmas Cookie recipes:
Have you tried this recipe? If so, leave me a rating and a comment below!
And don't forget to subscribe to get my recipes sent right to your email!
Peppermint Melt Aways Recipe
- 1 Cup Shortening (don't sub. with butter)
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 ½ Cups Flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon Almond Extract
- ½ teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- Red Food Coloring
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the shortening and powdered sugar. Beat in the egg and salt. Stir in the flour.
- Remove half the cookie dough from the bowl and set aside.
- Add the almond extract to the remaining dough in the bowl and mix well. Remove the dough from the bowl and set aside.
- Put the first potion of dough removed back in the bowl and add the peppermint extract and red food coloring. Mix well.
- Divide the the white and red potions of dough in half (it is easy to work with half the dough at a time). Knead half the white dough with half the red dough just until a slightly marbled look occurs.
- Roll out the dough and cut out with a 2 inch circle cookie cutter. Place cut out cookies on the prepared baking sheets.
- Without kneading again, press the cookie dough scraps together and roll out and cut out cookies again.
- Repeat with remaining halves of cookie dough.
- Bake cookies at 375 for 8-10 minutes. The bottom edges will be just beginning to brown.
- Move to a cooking rack and cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.