Check out this simple, no bake and perfectly chocolate mint mousse pie! If you love those mint truffle type chocolates then you will love this recipe! Addictively delicious. Only a handful of ingredients and you can make it in just 15 minutes! If you've loved my Chocolate Mousse Pie or my Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie you know you're in for a treat!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Very easy, no bake recipe for a grasshopper mousse pie!
- Silky smooth mousse filling with an oreo pie crust!
- Not made with alcohol or crème de cacao.
- Smooth chocolate mint flavor that's perfect for Thanksgiving and St. Patrick's day alike!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Heavy Cream - aka...heavy whipping cream. If you want to substitute cool whip for the fresh whipped cream you can. You will need 2 (8oz) containers.
- Crème De Menthe Extract - I have found this extract to go by just "Mint Extract" as well as "Spearmint Extract". Sometimes the extract name varies by brand. However, please note this is not the same mint as peppermint extract.
- Mint Oreos - The Oreo pie crust for this recipe is made from the mint crème filled Oreos. You can use regular Oreos however the mint filling definitely adds to the pie. If you choose to use regular oreos you will need to add 2 additional tablespoons of butter to the crust to make it hold together.
- Andes Mint Chips - If you can't find a bag of these chips you can always just buy a box of regular Andes mints and chop them up.
How to Make Step by Step Recipe Instructions
- Crush the mint Oreos in a food processor into fine crumbs.
- Press some crumbs in your hand to see how well they hold together. With these particular oreo cookies sometimes I need to add a tablespoon of butter to the crumbs and sometimes I don't. If you need to add a little butter do so now.
- Press the cookie crumbs in a 9-inch pie plate to make the mint chocolate crust.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, pour ½ cup heavy cream over 1 cup of chocolate chips and ¼ tsp salt.
- Microwave in 20 to 30 second intervals just until the chips are melted enough to whisk smooth.
- If you get them too hot they may scorch, but will for sure take forever to cool.
- Cool the smooth chocolate mixture to room temperature.
- To cool faster, pop it in the fridge or freezer, stirring here and there, keeping an eye on it so it only cools but doesn't get cold.
- Whisk in 2 tsp Mint or Crème De Menthe Extract.
- In a deep bowl or measuring cup, whip 1 cup of heavy cream and ⅛ cup powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
- For more instruction on whipping cream see this How to Make Whipped Cream article.
- FOLD the melted mint chocolate into the whipped cream to make the creamy mint filling.
- Check out this video on How to Fold if you're not sure how.
- Spread evenly over the Oreo crust.
- Chill for 6 hours before serving.
- Whip remaining ½ cup of cream with ⅛ cup powdered sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla to garnish your pie slices with.
- Sprinkle each slice with Andes mint chips and mint leaves as well!
- Chocolate shavings or chocolate curls also make delicious garnishes!
- Slice with a sharp knife that's been run under really hot water and quickly (but carefully) dried, for a smooth cut.
Recipe FAQs and Expert Tips
3-4 Days stored in the fridge lightly covered with plastic wrap.
It's a smooth chocolate mint. It's originated from a popular drink with a green color made from crème de menthe and crème de cacao.
The flavor mimics the popular dinner drink the grasshopper cocktail.
More Must Try Pie Recipes
Have you tried this recipe? If so, leave me a rating and a comment below! And don't forget to subscribe to my newsletter to get my latest recipes sent right to your email! You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram!Print
Check out this simple, no bake and perfectly chocolate mint mousse pie! If you love those mint truffle type chocolates then you will love this recipe! Addictively delicious. Only a handful of ingredients and you can make it in just 15 minutes!
- 20 Mint Oreos
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Mint or Crème De Menthe Extract
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- ⅛ Cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream
- ⅛ Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Additional mint Oreos or Andes Mint Baking Pieces
- Crush mint Oreos in a food processer. (see note)
- Press into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl or microwavable container, pour ½ cup Heavy Cream over 1 cup chocolate chips and ¼ tsp Salt.
- Microwave in 20-30 second intervals to melt the chocolate chips enough to whisk smooth. (See note)
- Cool to room temperature.
- Whisk 2 tsp of mint of crème de menthe extract into the melted chocolate.
- Set aside.
- In a deep bowl, whip 1 Cup of heavy cream and ⅛ cup powdered sugar to stiff peaks.
- Fold the melted chocolate into the whipped cream.
- Spread over the crust.
- Chill for 6 hours.
- To garnish, whip the remaining ½ cup of heavy cream with ⅛ cup powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla to stiff peaks.
- Spoon or pipe onto each slice and sprinkle with Andes Mint Chips or additional mint Oreos.
- If the crust is too crumbly add 1-2 Tbs of Butter to the crumbs in the food processer.
- If you heat the chocolate chips too much the chocolate can scorch and it will make it take forever to cool. To cool them faster, pop the bowl in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes stirring here and there while keeping an eye on it so it cools but doesn't get cold.
Keywords: chocolate mint pie, grasshopper pie recipe, no bake grasshopper pie, grasshopper mint pie
Thanks for stopping by! Before you leave don't forget to check out a few of my most popular recipes!
ANY NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS ON THIS SITE IS BASED ON AN ESTIMATE, CALCULATED BY NURTIFOX PLUGIN (OR OTHER THIRD-PARTY SOURCE) FROM THE INDIVIDUAL INGREDIENTS IN EACH RECIPE. VARIATIONS MAY OCCUR FOR VARIOUS REASONS, INCLUDING PRODUCT AVAILABILITY AND FOOD PREPARATION. WE MAKE NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF THE ACCURACY OF THIS INFORMATION.