These sweet potatoes will melt in your mouth with a sweet, nutty crunch that will make this the best side dish for the holidays!
This is my favorite Thanksgiving side dish! The sweet, melt-in-your-mouth mashed sweet potatoes topped with a crunchy, nutty streusel is something I look forward to all year long! Even your pickiest eaters who swear they hate sweet potatoes will love these!
This recipe contains affiliate links for the products I use for this recipe! For more info, see my disclosure policy here.
Are yams and sweet potatoes the same thing?
They are not but don't worry, even most grocery stores don't know the difference. Chances are the "yams" you buy every year from the bin marked "yams" are actually sweet potatoes.
Sweet potato flesh comes in a variety of colors, most commonly orange. Copper-colored sweet potatoes are commonly mistaken for yams because of their lighter flesh color. Yams have tough, bark-like skin and white, red, or purple flesh.
How to make:
- Peel, cube, and boil the sweet potatoes until cooked through. (affiliate links)
- Drain, mash, and whip (affiliate link) in the salt, butter, sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- Pour into a baking dish (affiliate link) sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Put the streusel ingredients in a food processor and process until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over the sweet potatoes and bake for 30 minutes at 350. That's it!
Is sweet potato casserole a dessert or a side dish?
Excellent question! I would describe it as a sweetly indulgent holiday side dish. The Thanksgiving rule at my house is there will be no calorie counting, carb counting, fat counting, or any other nutritional counting on Thanksgiving.
So while this dish may not be a healthy side dish option, we only have it once a year, so we give it a free pass as a side dish.
Can sweet potato casserole be frozen?
Yes, just make sure it's completely cooled or, better yet, cold before putting it in a freezer container and freezing.
Other recipes I will be making for Thanksgiving!
Have you tried this recipe? If so, leave me a rating and a comment below!
Don't forget to subscribe to get my newest recipes sent right to your email!
Streusel Topped Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- 4 Cups Sweet Potatoes peeled and cubed This is about 1 ½ lbs of Sweet Potato
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 3 Tbs Butter softened
- ½ Cup Milk 2% or higher
- 2 Eggs
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla
- ¾ Cup Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup Flour
- 5 Tbs Butter
- ¾ Cup Pecan chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain and mash the sweet potatoes.
- Beat in the sugar, salt, butter, milk, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour into a 9x13 baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or in a food processor, cut the butter into the brown sugar, flour, and pecans until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until the streusel is lightly browned.