Tender chicken breasts marinated and topped with slices of ham and melted cheese make up one of my favorite chicken recipes! Unlike a classic chicken cordon bleu recipe, this one is super simple with just 5 ingredients! Definitely an easy recipe for beginners!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- An easy version of chicken cordon bleu for busy weeknights!
- This baked chicken cordon bleu recipe is a family favorite!
- A great option for a comfort food for the whole family!
- Italian Dressing - Olive Garden Italian dressing is my preference, but any brand will work. If you don't want the rest of the bottle to go to waste, use the rest for some Italian Pasta Salad.
- Chicken - You can use boneless skinless chicken breasts that have been cut in half, OR you can use chicken tenderloin pieces.
- Mayonnaise - Use real mayo, not miracle whip.
- Ham - I use thin slices of deli-sliced black forest ham.
How to Make
- If the chicken breasts you are using are quite thick or very uneven in thickness, you may need to use a meat mallet to pound them out to an even thickness.
- Place the thawed, raw chicken in a gallon-size ziploc bag.
- Dump the mayo in with the chicken.
- Pour the Italian dressing over the top of that.
- Seal the bag and squish everything around until mixed well.
- Refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Use tongs to pull the chicken out of the marinade, let the excess drip off, and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes for chicken tenders or 50 minutes for breasts. The chicken should be cooked through with an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove from the oven and top each piece of chicken with a slice of ham.
- Then top with slices of Swiss cheese.
- Place the baking sheet back in the oven for another 5 minutes to heat the ham and melt the cheese.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot as is or with a Dijon mustard dipping sauce!
- Store leftover chicken in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Reheat carefully in the microwave or an air fryer.
Recipe FAQS and Expert Tips
I usually serve it with Orzo Rice Pilaf and steamed broccoli or green beans.
If you liked this recipe, you might like these also!
Have you tried this recipe? If so, leave me a rating and a comment below! And don't forget to subscribe to my newsletter to get my latest recipes sent right to your email! You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram!
Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
- 6-8 Chicken Breasts cut in half OR 12-14 Chicken Tenderloin Strips
- 1 Cup Mayo
- 1 Cup Italian Dressing I use the Olive Garden brand
- 6-8 slices Deli Ham Thin
- 6-8 slices Swiss Cheese
- Place chicken pieces in a large ziploc bag.
- Add the mayo and Italian dressing to the bag. Squish around until is mixed together well.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray it with non-stick cooking spray.
- Use tongs to remove the chicken from the marinade and place each chicken piece on the baking sheet, leaving a little space between each one.
- Discard the remaining marinade.
- Bake chicken breasts for about 50 minutes (juices should run clear, internal temp should be 165) OR bake the chicken tenderloins for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Top each piece with ham slices, then Swiss slices.
- Place back in the oven for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve and enjoy!