You've had cordon bleu casseroles, sandwiches or just baked styles, but have you had it as a creamy soup? Chicken, ham, and mushrooms in a swiss Dijon broth that is surprisingly delicious makes this a recipe you can't pass up!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- You can use leftover holiday ham for this comforting soup!
- It's a unique, hearty soup!
- All the Chicken Cordon Bleu flavors you love!
- Great way to use for extra cooked leftover chicken!
- Ham - You can use diced ham cubes or leftover ham from the holidays.
- Chicken Broth - For a good chicken broth use a chicken base instead of bouillon granules. The granules have weak flavor that weakens the older it is. I recommend using Better Than Bouillon chicken base to make your broth. This is the brand I use myself.
- Butter - You can use unsalted butter or salted butter. You could use olive oil in place of the butter if you need.
- Chicken - Use fairly plainly seasoned leftover chicken. Whole chickens, rotisserie chicken, a plain chicken breast....
- Milk - Whole milk and 2% milk work great! You can use half milk half cream for a thicker soup.
Step by Step Instructions
- In a large saucepan over medium heat melt butter to a sizzle.
- Add the minced garlic clove, onions, carrots and mushrooms.
- Sauté them lightly.
- Add the flour and stir well.
- Add the broth a little at a time stirring in between each addition until it's all added.
- Add the Dijon mustard.
- Add the shredded swiss cheese and stir well.
- Once the cheese is melted. add the ham cubes.
- Add the cooked, chopped chicken.
- Turn your stovetop heat down to a low heat.
- When the chicken and ham are heated through add warmed milk to the soup.
- After this point don't allow the soup to simmer again to avoid breaking the milk and causing the soup to be grainy.
- Serve with a loaf of crusty bread!
Recipe FAQs and Expert Tips
Fresh Dinner Rolls or Homemade French Bread would be delicious! You could even serve this soup in Bread Bowls!
Related Soup Recipes
Have you tried this recipe? If so, leave me a rating and a comment below! And don't forget to subscribe to my newsletter to get my latest recipes sent right to your email! You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram!Print
Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 quarts Soup 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Simmering
- Cuisine: American
You've had cordon bleu casseroles, sandwiches or just baked styles, but have you had it as a soup? Chicken, ham, and mushrooms in a swiss Dijon broth that is surprisingly delicious makes this a recipe you can't pass up!
- ½ cup Butter
- 3 Cloves minced Garlic
- ½ cup minced Onions
- 1 (8 oz) package sliced Mushrooms
- 1 cup Sliced Carrots
- ¼ cup Flour
- 5 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Tbs Dijon Mustard
- 1 to 1 ½ cups shredded Swiss Cheese
- 1 (8 oz) packaged, cooked cubed Ham
- 1 ½ cups cooked, chopped Chicken
- 1 ½ cups Milk, warmed
- Melt and bring butter to a sizzle over medium high heat in a soup pot.
- Add the garlic, onions, carrots, and mushrooms.
- Lightly sauté' until the carrots start to soften.
- Stir in the flour.
- Add the chicken broth a little bit at a time stirring well after each addition until all the broth has been added.
- Stir in the swiss cheese and Dijon mustard.
- Once the cheese is melted and blended in add the chicken and ham cubes.
- When the chicken and ham are heated through add the warmed milk.
- You can use leftover holiday ham for this recipe instead of ham cubes.
Keywords: chicken cordon bleu recipe, chicken soup
Thanks for stopping by! Before you go, be sure to check out a few of my most popular recipes!
Any nutritional analysis on this Site is based on an estimate, calculated by Nurtifox plugin (or other third-party source) from the individual ingredients in each recipe. Variations may occur for various reasons, including product availability and food preparation. We make no representation or warranty of the accuracy of this information.