Not sure what to do with all that leftover ham? This cheesy ham and potato soup recipe will become your new go-to ham soup recipe! Ready in 30 minutes or less, this hearty soup is just as easy as it is quick! Pure comfort food just in time for soup season!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- This family favorite is ready in 30 minutes!
- Quick and easy cheesy soup with ham and tender potatoes that'll warm you up on a cold day!
- Can easily be doubled to accommodate the whole family!
- Great way to use up leftover holiday ham.
- Ham - It doesn't matter if your ham has different flavors like Hickory Smoked or Honey Ham. Whatever leftover ham you have will work! If you don't have leftover ham but are in the mood for this delicious soup, you can sub a 6-8-ounce package of ham cubes!
- Velveeta - I like to use Velveeta because it melts so smoothly. Substitute queso blanco velveeta for a white cheddar twist! You can use 1 to 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese instead if you prefer.
- Corn - Yes, drain the corn!
- Butter - Both salted and unsalted work fine for this recipe.
- Potatoes - I use russet potatoes. Red potatoes would be fine as well. I find that they hold up the best. Yukon gold potatoes tend to fall apart.
- Chicken Broth - I highly recommend making your broth from a chicken base instead of bouillon granules. A base has the best flavor as it is a concentrated chicken stock and doesn't get stale like the granules. My favorite brand is Better with Bouillon.
- Flour - All-purpose flour is what I use.
How to Make Step-by-Step Instructions
- Begin by getting your ingredients ready!
- Chop the ham, carrots, onions, and potatoes.
- Drain the corn.
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter on the stovetop over medium heat.
- Once the melted butter is sizzling, add the carrots and onions.
- Sauté until the onions start to look translucent.
- Add the flour and stir to make a paste.
- Add the chicken broth a little at a time stirring in between each addition until all the broth has been added.
- Add the cubed potatoes and simmer until they are cooked through.
- Add the diced ham, drained corn, and Velveeta (for a creamy soup).
- Cook until the ham is heated through and the Velveeta is melted and evenly distributed throughout the soup.
- Remove from heat.
- Salt and pepper (psst...white pepper tastes so much better than black pepper) to taste and serve!
Recipe FAQs and Pro Tips
According to foodsafety.gov, ham is good for up to 4 days if stored properly in the fridge.
Yes, put it in an airtight container and pop it in the freezer. I recommend thawing and using it within 6 months. Thaw in the fridge before use.
In the meat section at the grocery store, you can usually find packages of cubed ham. You can use this in place of leftover ham.
Yes, you can. Use 1 to 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese. Start with 1 cup of cheese, then add more according to your tastes.
Rolls are certainly a popular thing to serve with soups. I have a few great options. My 90 Minute Dinner Rolls are a popular favorite. If you prefer a wheat roll, check out my Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls. If you're a beginner, let me recommend my No Knead Parker House Rolls!
Can I recommend a Ham and Cheese Pot Pie? It's one of my other favorites. Or how about some Ham Tetrazzini! It's quick and easy! Or perhaps some delicious Ham Stuffed Sweet Potatoes! I think I would personally with some Ham and Cheese Sliders. Who doesn't love a good ham sandwich?
More Recipes for the Best Soups
Have you tried this recipe? If so, leave me a rating and a comment below! And don't forget to subscribe to my newsletter to get my latest recipes sent right to your email! You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram!
Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup Recipe
- ½ Cup Onion chopped
- 1 Cup Carrots sliced or diced
- ½ Cup Butter
- ⅛ Cup Flour
- 6 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Cup Potatoes small cubed
- 2 Cups Ham cubed
- 15.25 oz. Corn Kernels Can of 15.25 oz., drained
- 8 oz. Velveeta Cheese
- Slice, dice, chop up, and gather all your ingredients.
- Melt the butter in a soup pot. Once sizzling, add the carrots and onions. Saute just until the onions start to look translucent.
- Stir in the flour, making a pasty mixture. Add the chicken broth a little at a time, stirring with each addition until all the broth has been added.
- Add the potatoes. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Add the ham, corn (drained) and Velveeta.
- Continue to cook over low heat until the ham is heated through and the Velveeta is melted and completely blended in.
- You can substitute 1 to 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese for the Velveeta. Start with 1 cup and add more to your taste.
- Ham cubes work just as well for this soup.
- This soup is excellent when made fresh but even better the second day, making this an ideal make-ahead meal. Once the soup is finished cooking, cover it and pop it in the fridge to reheat the next day!
Thanks for stopping by! Before you go, don't forget to check out a few of my most popular recipes!