Need something new for dinner? Try these bacon cheese topped chicken bites! Mouthwatering honey mustard chicken with bacon and cheese on every bite!
This one is one of my favorites! Bacon cheese topped chicken bites are bite-sized pieces of chicken marinated in a honey mustard sauce and baked with bacon, cheese, and sauteed mushrooms (if you want them) on the top! Seriously, so yummy! Even my pickiest eater ate some! Bacon cheese topped chicken also reheats well for leftovers the next day. This recipe is fairly easy. Not too labor intensive, but full of flavor and totally worth it!
Whip together the marinade ingredients. Measure out 1/3 cup of the marinade and set it aside. Pour the remaining marinade over 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts that have been cut up into bite-sized chunks and place in a gallon ziploc bag. Zip the bag closed and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Drain the marinade off the chicken and brown the chicken bites in 3 batches, over medium high heat in a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Add more olive oil before each batch of chicken. I cook the chicken bites in batches so that the excess chicken liquid doesn’t take over my pan causing the chicken to simmer rather than brown. Drain the browned chicken if necessary and spread the browned chicken bites in the prepared 9×13 baking dish. If the chicken bites are not cooked all the way through that is totally fine and normal. They will finish cooking in the oven.
Drizzle the reserved marinade over the browned chicken bites.
Slice up and fry bacon just until cooked. The bacon with continue to cook in the oven so you don’t want to crisp it in the pan. Sprinkle the cooked bacon bits over the chicken.
Saute’ the mushrooms until mostly done and sprinkle them over the bacon. I only added mushroom to less than half of the chicken because my kids won’t eat mushrooms.
Sprinkle the grated cheese on the top of everything. I used mild cheddar this time, but I also like to make this with colby jack cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
Serve and devour!
Bacon Cheese Topped Chicken Bites
Need something new for dinner? Try these bacon cheese topped chicken bites! Mouthwatering honey mustard chicken with bacon and cheese on every bite! Makes 6-8 servings
- Category: Chicken
- 6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts cuts into bite sized pieces
- 1 gallon size Ziploc Bag
- 3/4 Cup Spicy Brown Mustard
- 3/4 Cup Honey
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbs. Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Fresh Sliced Mushrooms
- 1 lb. Bacon, sliced in small pieces
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese or Colby Jack Cheese
- Additional Olive Oil for cooking
- Put the bite sized pieces of chicken in the gallon bag. Whisk together all the marinade ingredients. Measure out 1/3 cup of the marinade and set it aside for later. Pour the remaining marinade over the chicken bites, zip the bag closed and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Drain the marinade off the chicken and discard the used marinade. Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat high in a frying pan. Brown the chicken bites in three batches, adding more oil between batches, draining the browned chicken if necessary and spreading it across the bottom of the prepared 9×13 baking dish. The chicken may not be cooked all the way through at this point but it will finish cooking in the oven so don’t worry.
- Drizzle the 1/3 cup of reserved marinade over the browned chicken bites.
- Fry the bacon pieces over medium high heat in a frying pan just until done and sprinkle over the chicken.
- In the same frying pan, heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat and saute’ the mushroom until nearly done. Sprinkle them over the bacon layer.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top of everything and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.