A classic macaroni salad and a classic coleslaw salad all in one with a creamy dressing! A quick and easy recipe that makes the perfect side dish for family gatherings and summer barbecues!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- A creamy pasta salad for a summer potluck or summer cookout!
- A delicious coleslaw with pasta! Two classic salads in one!
- This coleslaw pasta salad is also perfect to complete an easy weeknight meal!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- White Pepper - you may use black pepper in place of the white pepper, but it won't be the same. If you've never used white pepper, give it a try! I very, very rarely use black pepper because white pepper has a much better flavor.
- Cabbage - You can substitute a bag of coleslaw mix for the red cabbage, green cabbage, and carrots. You'll need approximately 4 cups of coleslaw mix.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - You can substitute white vinegar in a pinch.
- Pasta - The type of pasta I use for this macaroni coleslaw recipe is Ditalini pasta. You could substitute another small pasta like elbow macaroni if you would like.
- Mayonnaise - Miracle whip can be substituted for the mayo.
- Green Onions - Red onion can be substituted for the green onions.
Step by Step Instructions
- Begin by preparing the dressing.
- In a small bowl or 2 cups measuring cup, whisk the mayo, sugar, apple cider vinegar, salt, and white pepper together.
- Set aside.
- Cook, drain, and cool the pasta according to package directions under cold water.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the rest of the salad.
- Slice, dice, peel, and chop up the cabbages, carrots, celery ribs, green bell pepper, medium cucumber and green onions.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the green cabbage, red cabbage, cucumbers, carrots, celery, green onions...
- ...peas, and green pepper.
- Mix in the cooked and cooled al dente pasta.
- Stir in the dressing.
- Allow to chill and the flavors to blend for 4 hours before serving.
Recipe FAQS and Expert Tips
Yes! Absolutely! This salad is go for 3-4 after preparing it.
Have you tried this recipe? If so, leave me a rating and a comment below! And don't forget to subscribe to my newsletter to get my latest recipes sent right to your email! You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram!
Macaroni Coleslaw Salad Recipe
- ¾ Cups Mayonnaise
- 2 ½ Tbs Sugar
- ⅛ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon White Pepper
- ¾ Cup Ditalini Pasta
- 1 ½ Cups Green Cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 ½ Cups Red Cabbage thinly sliced
- ½ Cucumber
- ¾ Cup Matchstick cut Carrots
- 2 Stalks Celery
- 6 Green Onions
- ½ Cup Frozen Peas (no need to thaw)
- ⅓ Cup Green Bell Pepper chopped up
- Prepare the dressing by whisking the mayo, sugar, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper together.
- Set aside.
- Cook the ditalini pasta according to package instructions. Once done, drain and rinse in cold water until the pasta is no longer warm.
- While the pasta is cooking, thinly slice the cabbages, celery, and green onions.
- Peel and chop up the cucumber.
- Toss the cabbage, cucumbers, carrots, celery, green onions, and frozen peas together in a large bowl.
- Stir the cooked pasta in with the vegetables.
- Pour the dressing over the top and mix into the vegetables and pasta well.
- Cover the bowl tightly and place in the fridge to chill for at least 4 hours.
- This salad is great to make ahead. It's good for 3-4 days after preparing!
Thanks for stopping by! Before you go, be sure to check out a few of my most popular recipes!