Chewy oatmeal fudge bars with gooey chocolate through the middle. Great for potlucks and barbecues to share with your neighbors.
Are you getting ready for the upcoming barbecues, neighborhood potlucks, and family gatherings? Well, you definitely need this Oatmeal Fudge Bar recipe. The recipe is easy. It makes plenty to share.
Travels well and will be a hit wherever you take them! No one will be able to resist these oatmeal cookie bars at their fudgy center! Trust me, you will love these!
Start by mixing up the oatmeal dough. Press ¾ of the dough in the bottom of a 13x17 baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. You can get the exact baking sheets I use here. When pressing the dough into the pan.
Use only lightly floured fingers. Sprinkling flour on the dough or just using a lot of flour to do this will make the bars dry. You can see that I do floury fingerprints here and there on the dough above, which is fine. Just make sure you don't overdo it.
Now for the oatmeal fudge bar filling! I have to recommend these silicone squeeze-and-pour measuring cups! They are awesome for melting chocolate chips, butter, or cream cheese in the microwave. I use mine all the time!
Prepare the fudge filling according to the recipe and spread it across the top of the oatmeal dough. I didn't spread it all the way to the edges because it makes it easier to cut later.
With the remaining ¼ of the dough, you are going to lightly flour your hands again and flatten globs of dough to dot the top of the filling.
Once again, don't overdo it with the flour.
Bake the bars for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees.
Now you don't want to wait until the dough on top is lightly browned to take them out of the oven.
By then, they will be overdone and will end up dry.
I stick a toothpick through a "glob" of flattened dough near the center. When done, the toothpick with come out with crumbs clinging to it.
Cool the bars completely, cut them up, and enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe? Leave me a rating and a comment below!
Other recipes I know you'll love!
Don't forget to subscribe to get my newest recipes sent right to your email!
Oatmeal Fudge Bars Recipe
- 1 Cup Butter softened
- 2 Cups Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3 Cups Quick Cooking Oatmeal
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips I used milk chocolate (but you can use semi-sweet or dark, too)
- 1 14 oz can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Tbs Butter
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a baking sheet (13x17 inches) with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until it's well combined. Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Add the salt and baking soda. Stir in the oatmeal. Finally, add the flour. Set the oatmeal dough aside.
- For the filling, pour the chocolate chips into a 2-cup microwavable measuring cup. Put the 1 Tbs. butter, salt, and vanilla on the top of the chocolate chips, and pour the can of sweetened condensed milk over them. Microwave about 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between 30-second intervals until the chocolate is melted and everything blends together. Set to the side for a moment.
- Using lightly floured fingers, press ¾ of the oatmeal dough into the bottom of your baking sheet. Pour the chocolaty filling on top and spread nearly to the edges of the pan. Take the remaining oatmeal dough and flatten it a chunk at a time with your hands, and place the flattened pieces on top of the chocolate filling.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. When these bars are done, they WILL NOT be lightly browned. You don't want to overcook them because then they will be dry instead of soft and chewy.
- Cool completely before cutting. Cut up into 48 pieces and enjoy!