Chicken and rice casserole is easy, and can be made ahead of dinner. Topped with crunchy rice noodles this is delicious for kids and adults alike!
This was not my intended recipe for today, but for some reason, this chicken and rice casserole sounded really good to me yesterday and I thought that if it sounded good to me, perhaps it would sound good to you too!
I love to have recipes that I can make while my kids are at school so that all I have to do is pop them in the oven later. Those evenings are definitely more relaxed and run more smoothly. I realize that mushrooms and green peppers may not be appealing to kids.
My kids don't like them either. You can easily just add the mushrooms and peppers to half if you want. Simple as that. And you will love the salty crunch the rice noodles add!
Start by cooking 1 cup of rice in 2 cups of water according to package directions or in a rice cooker. Dump the cooked rice, one can of cream of chicken soup and one can of chicken noodle soup in a mixing bowl. Mix well. Just a note here, sodium-free or reduced sodium canned soups will make this taste really bland.
Mix in 2 cups of fully cooked chopped chicken.
Lightly saute the mushrooms, onions, and green peppers.
If you are going to leave a portion of this casserole mushroom, pepper, and onion free for your kids, scoop out the amount you want to leave plain and add it to one end of a greased 9x13 baking pan.
Stir in the sauteed veggies and dump the casserole into the 9x13 pan.
Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate to bake later or go ahead and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. The casserole should be heated well all the way through.
Serve with crunchy rice noodles. You can use chow mein noodles instead, but the rice noodles add a wonderful salty flavor.
Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 1 Cup White Rice Uncooked
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 Can Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 Cups Fully Cooked Chicken Chopped Up
- 4 Tbs. Butter
- 8 oz Mushrooms Sliced
- ½ Cup Onions Minced
- ½ Cup Green Pepper Chopped
- 2-3 Cans Rice Noodles
- Prepare a 9x13 baking pan by spraying it with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook the rice in the water according to package instructions or in a rice cooker.
- Mix the cooked rice, cream of chicken soup, and chicken noodle soup well.
- Mix in the chicken.
- Lightly saute the mushrooms, onions and green peppers in the butter. Then mix them into the rice and chicken mixture.
- Dump the chicken and rice mixture into the prepared baking pan. Either cover with saran wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake or go ahead and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve with rice noodles.
Have you tried this recipe? If so leave me a rating above and a comment below!
Other recipes that I know you'll love!
Don't forget to subscribe to get my newest recipes sent right to your email!