Leftover turkey from Thanksgiving? No problem! Try a turkey reuben with homemade thousand island dressing! This delicious twist on a classic sandwich is ready in 10 minutes!
Table of contents
Why Choose This Recipe...
- Very easy
- Uses leftover holiday turkey.
- Ready in 10 minutes!
- Uses homemade Thousand Island Dressing!
- Rye Bread - You can use either rye or pumpernickel for these sandwiches.
- Sauerkraut - any brand is fine.
- Thousand Island Dressing - You can buy bottled thousand island if you choose or make your own from the recipe in the card.
- Famous Dave's Spicy Sweet Hot Pickles - If you prefer regular sweet pickles that's fine. Famous Dave's pickles, however, aren't too sweet or too hot. They give the dressing a kick and a twang without taking over.
Step by Step Instructions...
- Make the thousand island dressing by simply whisking the dressing ingredients together. Set aside.
- Heat up your broiler to hi and get a pan to ready to place the bottom parts of the sandwiches on to go under the broiler.
- Toast the rye bread.
- Line a baking sheet with the bottom part of the sandwiches.
- Spread the bottom piece of bread with dressing.
- Top with sliced or shredded leftover turkey.
- Top the turkey with slices of swiss cheese.
- Place pan in the oven under the broiler to melt the swiss cheese.
- Top melted swiss with a mountain of sauerkraut.
- Spread dressing on the top slice of rye bread and place it on top of the sauerkraut
- Serve immediately!
Recipe FAQs and Expert Tips...
We like chips and deli pickles!
This sandwich is also known as a Turkey Rachel in some places since the traditional corned beef of a Rueben is being swapped out for turkey.
Have you tried this recipe? If so leave me a rating and comment below! And don't forget to subscribe to get my latest recipes sent to your email! You can also follow me on...
Leftover turkey from Thanksgiving? No problem! Try some turkey reubens with homemade thousand island dressing! You'll love this delicious twist on a classic sandwich!
- The amounts of the ingredients you will need depends on how many sandwiches you plan to make. Adjust amounts of ingredients to fit your needs.
- Pumpernickel or Rye Bread
- Slices Swiss Cheese
- Thousand Island Dressing
- Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey
- Whisk together the thousand island dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Start heating your oven broiler to hi.
- Get a baking sheet to place the bottom parts of the sandwich under the broiler.
- Toast the bread to prevent sogginess.
- Spread the bottom pieces with thousand island dressing and set them on the baking sheet.
- Break up the turkey a bit with your fingers and layer evenly on top of the dressing.
- Top the the turkey with swiss cheese.
- Place the baking sheets under a broiler for 30 seconds or until the cheese is melted.
- Put some sauerkraut on top of the melted cheese.
- Spread the toasted top piece of rye with dressing and place it on top of the sauerkraut.
- Serve immediately!
- If you prefer to buy bottled Thousand Island dressing that's totally fine.
- If you prefer regular sweet pickles that's fine. Famous Dave's pickles, however, aren't too sweet or too hot. They give the dressing a kick and a twang without taking over.
Keywords: leftover turkey, thanksgiving