Slow cooker mac and cheese is quick to put together and ready in 3 ½ hours. It's cheesy, bacon-y flavor will have you making this again and again!
I've already shared my Slow Cooker Lasagna and Slow Cooker Beef Stew recipes with you and thought you might like a really low-key comfort food recipe. Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese is a quick and easy dinner that both adults and kids will love! If you followed me for a while you know that I really like to prepare dinner ahead of time because that little bit of time between school getting out and dinner time can get pretty crazy. This recipe is pretty good for leftovers, too!
How to make this mac and cheese:
- Collect all your ingredients! Milk, evaporated milk, small shell pasta, an egg, butter, flour, salt, 1 cup of 3 different kinds of cheese, bacon, and a 6-quart crockpot.
- You will either need to crisp and crumble 1lb. of bacon or buy a bag of the precooked real bacon pieces.
- Lightly spray the inside of the crockpot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Then toss together the pasta, cheeses, and half of the prepared bacon.
- Whisk together the milk, evaporated milk, flour, salt, egg, and melted butter. Pour over the ingredients in the crockpot. Give it a little stir.
- Cover the crockpot with the lid and cook on low for 3 ½ hours. Sprinkle with the remaining bacon and serve!
Frequently asked questions:
Why is evaporated milk used in mac & cheese?
Evaporated milk adds the creaminess you would get from adding cream without adding the extra fat.
Can you use regular milk instead of evaporated milk?
Yes, but your mac and cheese won't be as creamy.
Can this recipe be cut in half?
Absolutely! If you are cutting this recipe in half a 5 oz can of evaporated milk works fine. There's no sense in opening a big can of evaporated milk only to use half of it.
What goes well with mac and cheese?
I would say some sort of green salad or steamed vegetables.
Have you tried this recipe? If so, leave me a rating and a comment below!
And don't forget to subscribe to get my recipes sent right to your email!
Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 16 oz Small Shell Pasta 16 oz box
- 1 Cup Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Italian Cheese Blend
- 1 Cup Shredded Provolone (see the note at the end)
- 1 lb. Bacon (or precooked real bacon pieces)
- 4 Cups 2% Milk
- 1 12 oz can Evaporated Milk
- 1 Egg
- ¼ Cup Butter melted
- 1 Tbs. Flour
- 1 tsp. Salt
- Crisp and crumble 1 lb. of bacon. Set aside
- Lightly spray the inside of a 5-6 quart crockpot.
- Toss together the pasta, cheeses, and half the bacon in the crockpot.
- Whisk together the milk, evaporated milk, egg, flour, salt, and butter and pour over the ingredients in the crockpot. Give it a little stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 ½ hours.
- Sprinkle with remaining bacon and serve!