This old fashioned fruit and pasta salad speckled with sweet little marshmallows is the perfect side dish to take to a barbecue or potluck! Did I mention? It's pretty easy to make too! This creamy concoction will make you the talk of the party!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- This classic recipe has the perfect fruity flavor!
- Great recipe for sharing at a summer bbq or family gatherings!
- Despite the creepy name, this side dish is full of tiny pasta not tiny little frog eyes! (You know your kids are gonna ask...)
- A family favorite for a holiday dinner like Easter!
- Whipped Topping- This recipe calls for roughly ½ a container of cool whip. You can most definitely substitute real whipped cream if you would like. You can learn how to whip your own cream here!
- Mandarin Oranges - You'll need 11 oz mandarin oranges.
- Acini De Pepe Pasta - Tiny balls of pasta. You'll find this in the pasta aisle.
- Flour - Just regular all purpose.
- Flaked Coconut - I used the sweetened kind.
- Pineapple - You could use fresh pineapple however you will need to also buy some pineapple juice to make the pineapple curd for the salad. Crushed pineapple may also be used if you don't want chunks.
Step by Step Instructions
- Begin by preparing the pineapple curd.
- Remember it will have to cool for about an hour before you can use it so plan accordingly.
- Measure the ¼ cup sugar, ½ Tbs. flour and ⅛ teaspoon salt into a small pot.
- Drain the pineapple juice into a measuring cup. You will need ½ cup pineapple juice.
- Add the egg, yes the whole egg not just the egg yolk, to the pineapple juice and whisk them together well.
- Pour the egg mixture in the pot with the sugar mixture and whisk together.
- Bring to a simmer over medium high heat whisking constantly.
- Once it thickens and coats the back of a spoon well remove from the remove and cool.
- Sometimes I will set it over a bowl of ice to make it cool quicker.
- Cook the acini de pepe according to package directions until al dente, drain and rinse under cold water.
- Dump the cooked acini de pepe in a large bowl.
- Mix in the pineapple curd, followed by the whipped cream.
- Mix in the pineapple tidbits, mandarin oranges, mini marshmallows, and flaked coconut
- For best results cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- Top with maraschino cherries and serve!
Recipe FAQs and Expert Tips
This is the question my kids have asked me a million times. And the answer is that the acini di pepe pasta reminded someone at some point in time of actual frog eyes. I know I was hoping it was a more exciting story too!
Acini di pepe is small ball shaped pasta. Couscous isn't the same and not really a good substitute for it. They are just different enough that you won't get the results you want.
Have you tried this recipe? If so, leave me a rating and a comment below! And don't forget to subscribe to get my recipes sent to your email! You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram!Print
Frog Eye Salad Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Fruit Salad
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: American
This classic fruit and pasta salad speckled with sweet little marshmallows is the perfect side dish to take to a barbecue or potluck! Did I mention? It's pretty easy to make too!
- ¼ cup Sugar
- ½ Tbs. Flour
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- 2 (8 oz) Cans of Pineapple Tidbits (or crushed), undrained
- 1 (11 oz) Can of Mandarin Oranges, drained
- 1 Egg, beaten well
- ⅔ cup uncooked Acini De Pepe
- 1 cup Whipped Topping
- 1 ½ cups Mini Marshmallows
- ¼ cup Flaked Coconut
- 1 small Jar Maraschino Cherries (optional)
- In a small pot or saucepan, whisk together the sugar, flour, and salt.
- Drain the pineapple tidbits reserving the pineapple juice. You should get ½ cup juice.
- Whisk in the ½ Cup Pineapple Juice and well beaten egg.
- Over medium heat while whisking constantly bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once it thickens remove it from the heat to cool to room temperature.
- In a new pot, cook the acini de pepe according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Dump the cooked acini de pepe in a mixing bowl.
- Mix in the pineapple curd and whipped topping
- Fold in the pineapple tidbits, mandarin oranges, mini marshmallows, and flaked coconut.
- If you choose you can chop up the maraschino cherries and mix them in as well.
- Chill for 2 hours before serving.
- Top with maraschino cherries for garnish if desired.
- Whipped Topping can be replaced with homemade whipped cream. Just whip ½ cup heavy cream to stiff peaks and use just like you would the whipped topping.
- Sometimes I place the pot of hot curd over a bowl of ice to cool it faster.
Keywords: acini di pepe pasta salad, fruit salad, frog eye salad,
Thanks for stopping by! Before you go, be sure to check out a few of my most popular recipes!
Any nutritional analysis on this Site is based on an estimate, calculated by Nurtifox plugin (or other third-party source) from the individual ingredients in each recipe. Variations may occur for various reasons, including product availability and food preparation. We make no representation or warranty of the accuracy of this information.