Looking for the recipe for that fluffy green jello salad with pistachio pudding and mini marshmallows in it that your Grandma used to make? You know, that vintage recipe that was served at church dinners or a family reunion? Look no further! You're only 5 ingredients and 10 minutes from enjoying that family favorite!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- This is an old fashioned side salad only needs 5 simple ingredients!
- Takes less than 10 minutes to prepare!
- Also known as, Pistachio Delight, Watergate Salad, Pistachio Fluff Salad, or Pistachio Pudding Salad!
- Perfect for summer bbqs, potlucks, holiday dinners or family gatherings!
- The green color makes this perfect for St. Patrick's day too!
- Cool Whip - 2 Cups freshly whipped cream can be substituted for the cool whip aka whipped topping.
- Pineapple - crushed, tidbits or chunks. Chunks will need to be chopped into smaller pieces.
- Pistachio Pudding Mix - Be sure you've purchased the instant pistachio pudding mix.
Step by Step Instructions
- In a large bowl, beat ⅔s cool whip, sour cream and pistachio instant pudding mix together well.
- Dump the entire can of pineapple, with the pineapple juice into the mixing bowl.
- Add the miniature marshmallows and remaining cool whip.
- Mix well.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container or cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Feel free to garnish with maraschino cherries.
Recipe FAQs and Expert Tips
In the 1970s at the height of the Watergate scandal Kraft foods released a cake recipe using dry pistachio pudding mix and called it Watergate cake. Shortly after they released this jello salad using the pistachio pudding. A columnist in Chicago renamed their jello salad, Watergate Salad, after the cake. The name stuck and it's still known by that today.
Yes, you will want to chop up the chunks smaller but tidbits are fine.
Have you tried this recipe? If so, leave me a rating and a comment below! And don't forget to subscribe to my newsletter to get my latest recipes sent right to your email! You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram!
- 1 8 oz container Cool Whip
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- 1 3.4 oz pkg. Pistachio Instant Pudding Mix
- 2 8 oz cans Crushed Pineapple (undrained)
- 1 ½ Cups Mini Marshmallows
- Beat ⅔s of the cool whip, sour cream and pistachio pudding mix together.
- Mix in the pineapple, juice and all, marshmallows and remaining cool whip.
- Serve or chill to allow to set up more.
- You can sub 2 cups freshly whipped cream for the cool whip.
- Pineapple tidbits and chunks work as well. If using chunks, chop them up into smaller pieces.
Any nutritional analysis on this Site is based on an estimate, calculated by Nurtifox plugin (or other third-party source) from the individual ingredients in each recipe. Variations may occur for various reasons, including product availability and food preparation. We make no representation or warranty of the accuracy of this information.