The best cream of mushroom soup should not be hard to make and definitely doesn’t come from a can. Try my recipe! It is quick, simple and absolutely delicious!
Homemade cream of mushroom soup is one of my favorites! If you have only had cream of mushroom soup from a can then you definitely must try this recipe because they are not the same. My cream of mushroom soup is full of flavor, hot and creamy and super easy to make. I’ve also lightened this recipe up by switching the cream out for half & half. Serve with some hard rolls and enjoy!
Try a couple more of my soup recipes this month like my Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup, my Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup or my Easy Alphabet Soup! All are easy to make and are from scratch! Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook , Pinterest and Instagram!
You are going to start by lightly sauteing the mushrooms and onions. I use crimini mushrooms and it isn’t necessary to chop them up before sauteing them. You will be just blending them up anyway. Saute’ the mushrooms and onions just until the onions are a little translucent and the mushrooms are slightly softened. Then stir in the flour until all the white streaks are gone. Stir in the chicken broth a little at a time, mixing well between each addition, until all the broth has been added. Simmer until the mushroom are soft all the way through. They will be soft but not rubbery.
Remove your pot from the heat and blend up the soup with an emulsion blender, regular blender or a food processor. How pureed you want your soup is totally up to you. You can blend this until the mushrooms are small chunks or you can completely puree this until it is smooth. Return the soup to the stovetop and stir in the slightly warmed half & half. Heat until heated through. Don’t boil. Add salt and pepper according to your taste and serve!Print
The Best Cream of Mushroom Soup
The best cream of mushroom soup should not be hard to make and definitely doesn’t come from a can. Try my recipe! It is quick, simple and absolutely delicious! Makes 2 quarts
- Category: Soup
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
- 16 oz. Sliced Crimini Mushrooms
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 5 Cups Chicken Broth
- 3 Cups Half and Half
- Bring the butter to a sizzle in a soup pot. Lightly saute’ the mushrooms and onions in the butter. Onions should be slightly translucent and the mushrooms slightly softened.
- Stir in the flour. Mix until no white streaks remain. Add the chicken broth a little at a time, mixing well between additions until all the broth has been added.
- Simmer the mushrooms until they are soft and cooked all the way through. Remove from the heat and blend with an emulsion blender, a regular blender or a food processor until the soup is as chunky or smooth as you want.
- Put back over a low heat on the stovetop and stir in the half and half. Heat until the soup is hot but not boiling. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.