Italian orzo bacon mushroom bake is a delicious blend of an Italian cheese sauce, orzo, Canadian bacon, bacon, and mushrooms.
This is my new favorite dinner to make. It has even been approved by my pickiest eater, even though it has mushrooms in it. This dish has an amazing flavor! I think my favorite thing about it though is the crispy topping. The topping is Italian seasoned panko bread crumbs and grated parmesan cheese.
Underneath that delicious crispy topping is bacon, Canadian bacon, mushrooms, and orzo pasta in a flavor-packed Italian cheese sauce. Seriously, this is so good. You've got to try it! It will become a new family favorite for you, too!
To start out, make sure all your ingredients are chopped up and ready to go. In a small pot, boil the orzo until it is al dente. Drain it and dump it in a mixing bowl. While the orzo is cooking, heat up a frying pan over medium-high heat and add the bacon.
When the bacon is half done, add the onions and mushrooms to the bacon. The bacon probably won't get crispy, but cook it until it and the onions and mushrooms are done. Drain and discard the bacon grease. Dump the bacon, onions, and mushrooms into the mixing bowl with the orzo. Add the Canadian bacon and stir it all together.
I just use the pan I cooked the bacon in to make the cheese sauce. Melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, making a paste. Add the chicken broth a little at a time, whisking after each addition until smooth. Once all the chicken broth has been added, allow the sauce to simmer for a minute so it will thicken a bit. Whisk in the slightly warmed milk.
Bring back to a low simmer. Whisk in the Italian seasoning and the cheese blend. Whisk until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. Remove from the heat and pour over the other ingredients in the bowl. Mix all together well.
Dump and spread out in a 9 x 13 baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle the top with the Italian panko crumbs and then the grated parmesan. Bake in a preheated oven (350 degrees) for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool slightly and serve. Enjoy!!!
Italian Orzo Bacon Mushroom Bake
- 1 Cup Orzo uncooked
- ½ lb Bacon sliced into small pieces
- ½ Cup Onions diced
- 1 Cup Mushrooms diced
- 6 oz Canadian Bacon chopped into bite-sized pieces, 6 oz.package
- 1 Tbs Butter
- 1 ½ Tbs Flour
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Milk slightly warmed
- 1 ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 Cup Italian Cheese Blend shredded
- ½ Cup Italian Seasoned Panko Bread Crumbs
- ½ Cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 3 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small pot, cook the orzo until al dente. Drain and pour into a mixing bowl.
- While the orzo is cooking, heat up a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the bacon to the pan. When the bacon is halfway done, add the onions and mushrooms. Cook until the bacon is completely done, and the onions and mushrooms are soft and cooked through. Drain and discard the bacon grease. Add the bacon, onions, and mushrooms to the orzo in the mixing bowl. Add the Canadian bacon. Stir together.
- Using the same frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in the flour. Slowly add the chicken broth, stirring in between additions to make a smooth paste. Once all the broth has been added, allow the sauce to simmer for a minute. Then, slowly add the slightly warmed milk. Bring the sauce back to a low simmer. Don't let it boil, though. Whisk in the Italian seasoning. Add the Italian cheese blend and whisk until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. Remove from heat and pour over the other ingredients in the bowl.
- Mix together well, dump into the prepared baking dish, and spread out evenly. Sprinkle the top with the Italian panko crumbs, then with the grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes.
Have you tried this recipe? If so, leave me a rating above and a comment below!
Don't forget to subscribe to get my newest recipes sent right to your email!