These savory onion cheese rolls are the perfect way to kick your dinner up a notch! The onions and cheese add just the right amount of flavor!
Meet my new favorite roll recipe! These savory onion cheese rolls are sooooo delicious. I was worried that the onion flavor would be too much but it was perfect! They went really well with the soup we had for dinner and I enjoyed snacking on them as well. My recipe is very simple and quick compared to other yeast raised rolls. Savory onion cheese rolls would be an awesome way to shake things up this week!
Follow the recipe below to make the onion cheese roll dough. The picture above shows you what the dough should look like when you’ve added enough flour. As you can see it is not sticking to the sides, but it is sticking to the bottom of the bowl. The dough is still soft and is only just a little sticky.
After the onion cheese dough has risen divide it into 15 pieces, shape them into balls and place them in a prepared baking dish to rise again. Once doubled in size, sprinkle the reserved cheese and chives over the rolls. Bake them in a preheated oven (375 degrees) for 25-30 minutes. After about 15 minutes you will need to tent the rolls with foil to avoid overbrowning. Cool slightly and serve.Print
These savory onion cheese onion rolls are the perfect way to kick your dinner up a notch! The onions and cheese add just the right amount of flavor!
- 1 1/2 Cups Warm Water
- 3 Tbs. Sugar
- 1 Tbs. Active Dry Yeast
- 4 Tbs. Butter, room temp.
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 1/4 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 1/4 Cups Green Onions thinly sliced
- 4+ Cups Flour
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. Let stand 5 minutes to get foamy.
- Mix in the butter, salt, onion powder and 2 cups of the flour.
- Once combined, add 1 cup of the shredded cheese and 1 cup of the green onions. Reserve the remaining cheese and onions.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of flour. Mix until the dough forms a ball. You may need to add additional flour to reach a soft only slightly sticky dough. The dough should mostly clean the sides of the mixing bowl but still stick to the bottom of the bowl. Add extra flour a little at a time. You will likely not need more than a 1/4 to 1/2 cup.
- Knead the dough for 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Remove the dough hook and cover the bowl with a dish towel. Allow dough to rise until doubled (20-30 minutes).
- Dump the risen dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 15 portions, shape them into balls and place them in a 9×13 pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Cover and let rise until doubled (about 20 minutes).
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese and onions over the risen rolls and bake them at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes. About 15 minutes into the baking time tent the rolls with foil to prevent over browning.
- Cool baked rolls slightly before serving.
Keywords: dinner rolls, onion cheese rolls, savory rolls
Have you tried this recipe? If so, leave me a rating above and a comment below!
Other recipes I know you’ll love!
Soft Oatmeal Dinner Rolls
Don’t for to subscribe to get my newest recipes sent right to your email!
ANY NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS ON THIS SITE IS BASED ON AN ESTIMATE, CALCULATED BY NURTIFOX PLUGIN (OR OTHER THIRD-PARTY SOURCE) FROM THE INDIVIDUAL INGREDIENTS IN EACH RECIPE. VARIATIONS MAY OCCUR FOR VARIOUS REASONS, INCLUDING PRODUCT AVAILABILITY AND FOOD PREPARATION. WE MAKE NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF THE ACCURACY OF THIS INFORMATION.