Light and easy tomato soup gives you all the comfort of a homemade creamy tomato soup without adding those unwanted calories!
Ever get nostalgic for tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches? I do. However, I find that the canned version leaves a lot to be desired. This homemade version is delicious, easy, and customizable to your taste. It can be super kid-friendly or stepped up to suit grown-up tastes. Great for lunch or dinner!
How to make tomato soup:
With the exception of herbs and spices, this is all you need to make this soup. Vegetable broth, a can of V8, a can of petite diced tomatoes, and a cup of half and half.
- Pour the veg. broth, V8, and diced tomatoes into a soup pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend smooth with an emulsion blender, a regular blender, or a food processor.
- Add the half and half. Blend again until smooth.
Now your soup is done at a very basic level. Totally kid-friendly. If you are looking to spice it up a bit, you can add basil or Italian seasoning to your taste. If you want a spicier soup, then you can use spicy V8. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches, and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Since this is not a condensed soup, you wouldn't want to use it in place of the canned version. However, it can be used as a light side dish to sandwiches or salads.
You can always use some fresh basil or parsley to garnish this soup.
According to Google, it tastes like summer in a bowl. I am really not sure what that even means. Anyway, in my opinion, it's a mild-flavored soup with a balance of tomato-y flavor and sweetness.
Light and Easy Tomato Soup
- 2 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 14.5 oz tomatoes Petite Diced or crushed (14.5 oz) can
- 11.5 oz V8 Vegetable Blend Juice See note at end (11.5 oz) can
- 1 Cup Half and Half
- Basil or Italian Seasoning optional
- Pour the vegetable broth, canned tomatoes, and V8 into a soup pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and blend the soup with an emulsion blender, a regular blender, or a food processor until smooth. Add the half and half. Blend again.
- Stir in salt, pepper, basil, or Italian seasoning to your taste. Serve and enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe? Leave me a rating and a comment below!
Other recipes I know you'll love!
Don't forget to subscribe to get my newest recipe sent right to your email!