Popcorn balls made with marshmallows are the best! I'll show you how to make this old fashioned treat with just 5 simple ingredients in 15 minutes! These colorful popcorn balls are a Halloween favorite just like my Mummy Cookies, but can be made with any colors for whatever occasion you want!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- You will not need a candy thermometer! That's how easy these are!
- No corn syrup!
- These stay soft and chewy instead of becoming hard and tacky!
- Hand these traditional popcorn balls out to treat or treaters!
- You can even add M and M's or other mix-ins to these colorful treats for movie nights!
- Could be shaped with molds instead of shaped into balls!
- Mini Marshmallows - Sometimes I have other sizes of marshmallows on hand instead of the mini ones. If you're like me you'll want to check out this awesome Conversion Chart for Marshmallows!
- Popcorn - You'll need between ⅓ cup and ½ cup of popcorn kernels. Do not use microwave popcorn for this recipe.
- Butter - can be either salted or unsalted. It also doesn't need to be room temperature. It can be straight from the fridge since you'll melt it with the marshmallows.
How to Make Step by Step Recipe Instructions
- NOTE - Before you start decide if you want to make these easy popcorn balls all one color or different colors. I you want to make two different colors you'll need to divide the popped corn into two bowls and divide the melted marshmallow into two bowls before adding the food coloring.
- Air pop some unpopped kernels in an air popper.
- After popping the corn, I shake the bowl a bit and then measure out 12 cups of popcorn into a different large bowl so that I can easily leave out any un-popped kernels or partially popped kernels.
- Place popcorn in the large bowl aside for a moment.
- Then melt the butter in a small pot over medium heat.
- Stir in the marshmallows.
- Once the marshmallows are completely melted remove from the heat.
- Stir the food coloring and vanilla extract into the melted marshmallows.
- Pour marshmallow mixture over the popcorn and mix until all the pieces are coated.
- Using a 1 cup measuring cup scoop the marshmallow popcorn out into 5 piles on wax paper to shape into individual popcorn balls.
- TIP: Spray your hands lightly with some non-stick cooking spray and shape each pile into a ball. The only time I had a problem with it sticking to my hands was if it was still fairly hot. It is easier to shape when it is a little bit cooled.
- Each popcorn ball turned out to be bigger than a baseball but not quite as big as a softball.
- Set them on wax paper or parchment paper for an hour or so to completely set up.
- Wrap each ball in plastic wrap or store these in an airtight container to keep them from getting hard.
Recipe FAQs and Expert Tips
Spray your hands lightly with some non-stick cooking spray and shape each pile into a popcorn ball. The only time I had a problem with the popcorn sticking to my hands was if it was still fairly hot. It is easier to shape when it is a little bit cooled.
You can add sprinkles, m'n'm's, skittles, sugar babies, gummy bears....pretty much any small candy.
These are good for about a week. After that the sugars start turning syrupy.
Yes! Just wrap them tightly with plastic wrap place them in an airtight container and pop them in the freezer. Thaw at room temperature.
Yes they are!
Related Halloween Recipes
Have you tried this recipe? If so, leave me a rating and a comment below! And don't forget to subscribe to my newsletter to get my latest recipes sent right to your email! You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram!Print
Popcorn balls made with marshmallows are the best! I'll show you how to make this old fashioned popcorn treat with just 5 simple ingredients in 15 minutes! These colorful popcorn balls are a Halloween favorite but can be made with any colors for whatever occasion you want!
- 12 cups Popped Popcorn
- ½ cup Butter
- 4 cups Mini Marshmallows
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Food Coloring
- Pop the popcorn and remove the unpopped kernels and partially popped kernels.
- Melt butter in a medium pot on the stovetop.
- Add the marshmallows to the melted butter and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and food coloring.
- Pour over the popcorn and stir until all the pieces are well coated.
- Scoop out into 5 piles onto wax paper.
- Spray your hands lightly with non-stick cooking spray and press each pile into a popcorn ball.
- Set the popcorn balls on wax paper and give them about and hour to completely set up.
- Wrap individually in plastic wrap to store and keep soft.
Keywords: popcorn balls, easy popcorn balls, halloween
Mindee's Cooking Obsession is a positive place and I love to hear your success stories! Remember to keep comments or questions respectful and kind. I reserve the right to delete or reject any comments that are deemed not helpful to other readers or are offensive in nature.
Comments suggesting substitutions of multiple ingredients or rewrites of the above recipe to promote different dietary preferences will not be published as they are not tested for accuracy and may inhibit the success of other readers. Thanks!