Chocoholics beware! This Death by Chocolate Cake recipe is the only one you will ever need! Why, you ask? Click on over and find out!
Introducing my Death by Chocolate Cake recipe! I think we can all agree that chocolate cake probably tops the favorite dessert list, right? And there are soooooo many recipes for it out there. So, why try mine? Well, I’ve made this recipe for decades. It is deeply chocolatey, very moist and this recipe doesn’t require any special skills or ingredients. That’s right, you probably have everything you need to make this cake in your cupboard right now!!! So give it a try! You won’t be disappointed!
This is how I prepare my cake pans. A little bit of non-stick cooking spray on the bottom to hold a circle of parchment paper in place and then more non stick cooking spray on the parchment paper and sides of the cake pan. You don’t have to do this but I always do because I never have to worry about my cake getting stuck to the bottom of the pan.
Start by preheating your oven and preparing two 9 inch cake pans by lining with parchment like shown above or by greasing and flouring them. Boil 1 cup of water and set aside for a moment. In a mixing bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients. I always use the Ghirardelli cocoa powder because I find it has a better chocolate flavor. Add all the wet ingredients EXCEPT the boiling water. Mix well and then while beating at a low speed, add the boiling water in a small steam. Mix until well combined.
Divide the chocolate cake batter between the two cake pans. You cake pans will be roughly 3/4 full of batter. I realize this seems too full, but I have never had this cake cook over the edges.
Bake your chocolate cakes at 350 degrees for 27-30 minutes. A toothpick should come out with moist sticky crumbs. You do not want it to come out clean. Cool the cakes on a wire rack, run a knife around the edges and remove the cakes from the pans.
Once completely cool, frost the chocolate cakes with my Rich Chocolate Buttercream Frosting!
Have you tried this recipe? If so, leave me a rating and a comment below!
Other recipes I know you’ll love!
Don’t forget to subscribe to get my newest recipes sent right to your email!Print
Chocoholics beware! This Death by Chocolate Cake recipe is the only one you will ever need! Why, you ask? Try it and find out!
- 2 1/4 Cups Flour
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1 Cup Cocoa Powder (preferably Ghirardelli)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Canola Oil
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare two 9 inch cake pans by greasing and flouring them or by lining the with parchment paper and spraying them with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare the 1 cup of boiling water and set it aside for a moment.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the eggs, canola oil, milk and vanilla. Mix well.
- With the mixer or beaters running pour the boiling water into the batter in a small steady stream. Mix until well combined.
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans. They will be quite full.
- Bake your chocolate cakes at 350 for 27-30 minutes. A toothpick should come out with moist sticky crumbs, not clean.
- Cool on wire racks for a half hour, then turn out of the pans to finish cooling.
- Frost with my Rich Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.
Keywords: chocolate cake
ANY NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS ON THIS SITE IS BASED ON AN ESTIMATE, CALCULATED BY NURTIFOX PLUGIN (OR OTHER THIRD-PARTY SOURCE) FROM THE INDIVIDUAL INGREDIENTS IN EACH RECIPE. VARIATIONS MAY OCCUR FOR VARIOUS REASONS, INCLUDING PRODUCT AVAILABILITY AND FOOD PREPARATION. WE MAKE NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF THE ACCURACY OF THIS INFORMATION.
Last Updated on