Cheddar chive biscuits are tender, cheesy biscuits with just the right amount of onion flavor. Perfect with salads or seafood!
These cheddar chive biscuits are seriously so good! I can eat them as a meal by themselves. I usually make these when we have salads for dinner. I cannot eat salad alone. I need some sort of bread, roll, or in this case a biscuit to go with it. We also have them on New Year’s Eve with the assortment of seafood that my husband cooks for us. They are easy to make! They’re good warm or cold and they keep well overnight. Give’em a try and let me know how you like them!
First of all, whisk the sour cream and milk together and set it aside for a minute. In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together and cut in the shortening until you have coarse crumbs. The coarse chunks of shortening are important. That is where biscuits get their flakiness from. Next stir in the cheese and green onions just until they evenly distributed. Pour in the sour cream and milk mixture and mix just until moistened. If you have some streaks of flour here and there that’s Ok. You don’t want to over mix or you will lost those shortening chunks and therefore lose the flakiness.
Dump your dough out on a lightly floured surface. I just use a cutting board. Pat the dough out to about 3/4 inch thick. Using a 2 1/2 inch round cookie cutter, cut out the biscuits and place them on the prepared pan. When cutting out biscuits always push the cookie cutter down without twisting it around. Twisting it around seals the layers together causing them not to rise as well and results in a heavier, dense biscuit. We are going to for light and flaky.
Bake in your preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned. Cool a little bit before eating.Print
Tender, cheesy biscuits with just the right amount of onion flavor. Perfect with salads or seafood!
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Cups Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Shortening
- 1 1/2 Cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Cup thinly sliced Green Onions
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together the sour cream and milk. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the shortening until mixture have coarse crumbs throughout.
- Add the cheese and green onions, mixing around until they are evenly distributed throughout the mixture. Pour it the sour cream/milk mixture all at once and mix just until moistened.
- Dump out biscuit dough onto a lightly floured counter top or cutting board and gently pat it out to about 3/4 inch thickness.
- Using a 2 1/2 inch round cookie or biscuit cutter, cut dough into roughly 12 to 14 biscuits. Place biscuits on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes or until tops are lightly browned. Cool slightly before serving.
- Store cooled biscuits in an airtight container.
Keywords: Biscuits, cheddar biscuits
Have you tried this recipe? Leave me a rating above and a comment below!
Other recipes I know you’ll love!
Don’t forget to subscribe to get my newest recipes sent right to your email!
Any nutritional analysis on this Site is based on an estimate, calculated by Nurtifox plugin (or other third-party source) from the individual ingredients in each recipe. Variations may occur for various reasons, including product availability and food preparation. We make no representation or warranty of the accuracy of this information.