Looking for a healthy dinner roll option? Try my whole wheat dinner rolls. Not only are they fluffy, they are easy to make, contain honey and are eggless!
- 1 1/2 Cups Warm Water
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 Tbs. Active Dry Yeast
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4 Tbs. Butter, room temp.
- 1 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/2–2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. Also to stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the honey, salt, butter, and 1 1/2 cups of wheat flour. Mix at a low speed.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour while the mixer is running. Mix until well combined.
- You may or may not need to add more flour at this point. You want the dough to come together in a sticky ball that mostly cleans the sides of the bowl, but still sticks to the bottom. Add more flour a little at a time if you need to. Lean more towards a stickier dough than a stiff dough.
- Knead in your mixer for 3 minutes. Then cover and let rise until doubled. This should take about an hour.
- Dump risen dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide into 15 equal size pieces and shape them into balls.
- Place the dough balls in a 9×13 baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cover and let rise until doubled (about a half hour).
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Bake risen rolls for 15-18 minutes.
- Run a cube of butter over the tops of the hot rolls.
- Cool and enjoy!
Keywords: whole wheat rolls, whole wheat bread