Looking for a coleslaw made from scratch without mayo in the dressing? You can even make the poppy seed dressing with a sugar substitute for a keto or low carb side that takes just 10 minutes to prepare!
Why Choose This Recipe
- Mayo free!
- Can be made keto or low carb!
- Full of fresh veggies, gluten free, low in calories and healthy!
- A great alternative to classic coleslaw just like my Brussel Sprout Slaw!
- Sugar - you can use a sugar substitute like Stevia to make this recipe keto friendly and carb free!
Step by Step Instructions
- In a small measuring cup whisk the sugar, salt, poppy seeds, spicy mustard, apple cider vinegar and olive oil together.
- Set aside while you prepare the veggies.
- Dump the coleslaw blend mix into a large mixing bow.
- Peel and chop up the cucumber.
- Finely chop the green pepper and red onion.
- Add those along with the frozen peas (no need to thaw) to the coleslaw in the bowl.
- Toss to mix.
- Pour the poppy seed dressing over the fresh veggies and stir to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
- Stir right before serving to redistribute the dressing.
Recipe FAQs and Expert Tips
Use a sugar substitute like stevia in place of the sugar. Here's a conversion chart to help you!
It's good for about 3 days. After that it starts to be soggy.
You can make this salad up to a day before you plan to serve it.
Have you tried this recipe? If so, leave me a rating and a comment below! And don't forget to subscribe to my newsletter to get my latest recipes sent right to your email! You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram!
Sweet Poppy Seed Coleslaw Recipe
Poppy Seed Dressing:
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Spicy Brown Mustard
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 3 Tbs. Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ Cup Olive Oil
- ½ Tbs. Poppy Seeds
- 4 Cups Coleslaw Blend roughly a 16 oz bag
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas no need to thaw
- 1 Cup Cucumber peeled & diced
- ½ Cup Green Pepper chopped
- ⅓ Cup Minced Red Onions
- In a small measuring cup whisk together the sugar, spicy brown mustard, salt, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and poppy seeds.
- Set aside for a moment.
- In a large mixing bowl toss the coleslaw blend, peas, cucumber, green pepper and red onions together.
- Pour the dressing over the coleslaw veggies and stir to coat.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Re-stir to redistribute the dressing and ingredients just before serving.
- You can use a sugar substitute like Stevia for the sugar to make this recipe keto or low carb.
Any nutritional analysis on this Site is based on an estimate, calculated by Nurtifox plugin (or other third-party source) from the individual ingredients in each recipe. Variations may occur for various reasons, including product availability and food preparation. We make no representation or warranty of the accuracy of this information.