Need a simple recipe for the best old fashioned oatmeal cookies made from scratch? These are soft and chewy just like Grandma used to make! As well as made from everyday ingredients and ready to enjoy while still warm in 30 minutes!
- 3/4 cup Shortening
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Egg
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3 cups Quick Cooking Oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking sheets by spraying with non-stick cooking spray or lining with parchment paper.
- Cream the shortening and sugars together.
- Add the water, vanilla extract and egg. Mix well.
- Stir in the baking soda and salt.
- Stir in the oatmeal.
- Stir in the flour.
- Let dough stand for 10 minutes to let the oatmeal absorb the extra moisture.
- Drop the dough by the tablespoonful onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes. The bottom edges will have turned very lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack and eat!
- When the dough is first mixed up it may seem like it needs more flour. However, the oatmeal will continue to absorb the moisture in the dough as it sits so if you add more flour your cookies may end up dry and tough. If you are concerned that the dough is too wet, let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes then give it a stir and see if it is still to wet.
Keywords: oatmeal cookies, chewy oatmeal cookies, simple oatmeal cookies