These candy cane like peppermint cookies melt in your mouth! Don't forget to add these Peppermint Melt Aways to your baking list this season!
- 1 cup Shortening ((don't sub. with butter))
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
- 1/2 tsp Peppermint Extract
- Red Food Coloring
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the shortening and powdered sugar. Beat in the egg and salt. Stir in the flour.
- Remove half the cookie dough from the bowl and set aside.
- Add the almond extract to the remaining dough in the bowl and mix well. Remove the dough from the bowl and set aside.
- Put the first potion of dough removed back in the bowl and add the peppermint extract and red food coloring. Mix well.
- Divide the the white and red potions of dough in half (it is easy to work with half the dough at a time). Knead half the white dough with half the red dough just until a slightly marbled look occurs.
- Roll out the dough and cut out with a 2 inch circle cookie cutter. Place cut out cookies on the prepared baking sheets.
- Without kneading again, press the cookie dough scraps together and roll out and cut out cookies again.
- Repeat with remaining halves of cookie dough.
- Bake cookies at 375 for 8-10 minutes. The bottom edges will be just beginning to brown.
- Move to a cooking rack and cool completely.
Store in an airtight container.
Keywords: peppermint cookies, candy cane cookies, Christmas cookies