All I can say is YUM! These peaches and cream sweet rolls are absolutely delicious! It’s like eating peach pie for breakfast!
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Scalded Milk
- 1 Tbs. Active Dry Yeast
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Warm Water
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3 1/2 Cups Flour, divided
CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 8 oz Cream Cheese (softened)
- 1/4 Cup Butter (softened)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups Fresh Peaches peeled, sliced and diced.
- 2 Tbs. Cornstarch
- 1/2 Cup Peach Puree
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (you can make these with hand beaters, too) place the 1/4 cup of butter, 1 tsp Salt, and 1/4 cup of sugar.
- In a small saucepan, scald the 1 cup of milk. To scald milk, heat the milk over medium heat high to nearly boiling. Remove from the heat and pour over the contents of the mixing bowl.
- Allow to cool to a warm, but not hot temperature (a little warmer than a baby’s bath water). This takes 20-30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1/2 tsp sugar in 1/3 cup warm water. Let stand until foamy. About 5 minutes.
- Pour the foamy yeast, 2 eggs, and 2 cups of the flour into the mixing bowl. Mix on low just until everything is mixed together. Then beat on medium high for 5 minutes. Don’t skimp on the time. You must beat it for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour. Mix until incorporated. This is a batter dough so the dough is going to be sticky and gooey, it will not be a ball of dough. Cover the dough and let rise until doubled. This will take an hour to an hour and a half.
- Punch down the dough, recover, and let rise a second time until doubled. This will only time 1/2 the time of the first rise.
- While the dough is finished rising for a second time, spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and mix up the cream cheese filling by beating all the cream cheese filling ingredients together until smooth.
- Peel, slice and dice enough peaches to measure 2 cups of peach pieces. Dump them in a ziploc bag with the cornstarch and shake well.
- Dump the risen dough out onto a generously floured surface. Knead gently just enough so the dough is not sticky. This won’t take a lot of flour. Remember this is a soft dough and should not be a stiff ball of dough like bread dough would be.
- Roll out into a rectangle that is roughly 20×14 inches. Spread the cream cheese filling over the top of the rolled out dough.
- Evenly distribute the peach pieces over the cream cheese filling.
- Roll up jelly roll style and slice into 12 one and a half inch thick slices. And, yes, this is a bit messy.
- Place the slices in a 9×13 baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cover and let rise until nearly doubled and while your oven preheats to 350 degrees.
- Bake your sweet rolls in the preheated oven to 25-35 minutes.
- While they are baking, puree roughly 1/2 a peach giving you about 1/2 cup of peach puree. Beat in the powdered sugar until it is smooth and makes a pretty peach glaze.
- Cool the sweet rolls for 10 minutes before glazing.
- Serve warm or cool before serving. Store in the fridge.
I used 3 big peaches for this recipe.
Keywords: sweet rolls, peaches, cinnamon rolls