Are you a cinnamon roll addict? Do you love fresh peach cobbler? What if I told you that you could make peach cobbler "cinnamon rolls" from scratch!!! With a cream cheese filling these peach rolls are light fluffy and mouth watering amazing!
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Scalded Milk
- 1 Tbs. Active Dry Yeast
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/3 cup Warm Water
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3 1/2 cups Flour, divided
CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 8 oz Cream Cheese (softened)
- 1/4 cup Butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Fresh Peaches peeled, sliced and diced (2 large or 3 average sized peaches)
- 2 Tbs. Cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Peach Puree
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (you can make these with hand beaters, too) place the 1/4 cup of butter, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 cup of sugar.
- In a small saucepan, scald the 1 cup of milk.
- To scald milk, heat the milk over medium heat high to nearly boiling. Remove from the heat and pour over the contents of the mixing bowl.
- Allow to cool to a warm, but not hot temperature (a little warmer than a baby’s bath water). This takes 20-30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1/2 tsp sugar in 1/3 cup warm water.
- Let stand until foamy. About 5 minutes.
- Pour the foamy yeast, 2 eggs, and 2 cups of the flour into the mixing bowl.
- Mix on low just until everything is mixed together.
- Then beat on medium high for 5 minutes. Don’t skimp on the time. You must beat it for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour. Mix until incorporated.
- This is a batter dough so the dough is going to be sticky and gooey, it will not be a ball of dough. Cover the dough and let rise until doubled. This will take an hour to an hour and a half.
- Punch down the dough, recover, and let rise a second time until doubled. This will only time 1/2 the time of the first rise.
- While the dough is rising for a second time, spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set it aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla together until smooth and lump free. Set aside.
- Peel, slice and dice enough peaches to measure 2 cups of peach pieces and reserve a peach half for the icing.
- Dump the risen dough out onto a floured surface. Knead gently just enough so the dough is not sticky. This won’t take a lot of flour. Remember this is a soft dough and should not be a stiff ball of dough like bread dough would be.
- Roll out into a rectangle that is roughly 20×14 inches. Spread the cream cheese filling over the top of the rolled out dough.
- Dump the peach pieces in a ziploc bag with the cornstarch and shake well.
- Evenly distribute them over the cream cheese filling.
- Roll up jelly roll style and slice into 12 one and a half inch thick slices. And, yes, this can be a bit messy and it works best to slice them with dental floss.
- Place the slices in a 9x13 baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cover and let rise until nearly doubled and while your oven preheats to 350 degrees.
- Bake your sweet rolls in the preheated oven to 25-35 minutes.
- While they are baking, puree roughly 1/2 a peach giving you about 1/2 cup of peach puree.
- Beat in the powdered sugar until it is smooth and makes a pretty peach icing.
- Drizzle the icing over warm but not hot sweet rolls.
- Serve warm or cool before serving. Store in the fridge.
- Be sure to use ripe peaches for this recipe. Under-ripe ones resist having the skins removed and don't taste good.
- Once again, remember this is a batter dough. It is not going to come together in a ball like bread dough. See the pictures included in the recipe post.
- To remove peach skins easily do the following.
- Bring a a small but deep pot of water to a boil.
- You'll need enough boiling water to cover the entire peach.
- Place your peaches in the boiling water making sure they are completely submerged.
- A pasta spoon or utensil is the easiest way to put in and take them out of the water.
- Boil for 30-45 seconds.
- Remove the hot peaches and immediately submerge them in ice water leaving them in the ice water for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove a peach from the cold water and gently rub your thumb across the skin.
- The skin should easily slide off.
Keywords: peach cobbler cinnamon rolls, peach cinnamon rolls, peach rolls, peaches and cream sweet rolls, fruit sweet rolls