Don't spend money on Pillsbury or Rhodes orange rolls when you can easily make them from scratch! My step by step recipe instructions with pictures will show you how easy it is to make these orange cinnamon type rolls yourself!
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Scalded Milk
- 1 Tbs. Active Dry Yeast
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Warm Water
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3 1/2 Cups Flour, divided
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- Zest of Two Oranges ((about 2 Tbs.))
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Orange Juice Concentrate
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (you can make these with hand beaters, too) place the 1/4 cup of butter, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 cup of sugar.
- In a small saucepan, scald the 1 cup of milk.
- To scald milk, heat the milk over medium heat high to nearly boiling. Remove from the heat and pour over the contents of the mixing bowl.
- Allow to cool to a warm, but not hot temperature (a little warmer than a baby's bath water). This takes 20-30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1/2 tsp sugar in 1/3 cup warm water.
- Let stand until foamy. About 5 minutes.
- Pour the foamy yeast, 2 eggs, and 2 cups of the flour into the mixing bowl. Mix on low just until everything is mixed together.
- Than beat on medium high for 5 minutes. Don't skimp on the time. You must beat it for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour. Mix until incorporated. This is a batter dough so the dough is going to be sticky and gooey, it will not be a ball of dough. Refer to the pictures included in this recipes post to see what this should look like.
- Cover the dough and let rise until doubled. This will take an hour to an hour and a half.
- Punch down the dough, recover, and let rise a second time until doubled. This will only time 1/2 the time of the first rise.
- While the dough is rising a second time beat the butter, sugar and orange zest together until the sugar turns slightly orange.
- Jelly Roll Style - Dump the risen dough onto a floured surface.
- Sprinkle with flour and lightly knead into a ball and divide in half.
- Roll each half into a rectangle and spread with orange sugar.
- Roll up dough and cut into 1 inch slices using dental floss.
- Place each slice a 1/2 each apart in a baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cover and allow to rise until doubled while the oven preheats to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Beat the powdered sugar and orange juice concentrate together for the orange icing.
- Drizzle over mostly cooled orange rolls.
- Butterhorn Style - Dump the risen dough out onto a floured surface. Knead a couple times to form a soft ball. Divide the ball into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece out into a circle. Divide the orange butter into 3 portions. Spread a portion onto each circle.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut each circle into 8 triangle pieces. Roll up each triangle, large end to small end and place them on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled.
- While the orange sweet rolls rise, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Once risen bake the orange roll for 18-20 minutes.
- For the icing, whisk together the powdered sugar and orange juice concentrate. Drizzle over partially cooled orange rolls.
Keywords: orange rolls, orange cinnamon rolls, Pillsbury orange rolls