Tired of so called lemon cakes that actually have baked out, weak lemon flavor? Then try my Lemon Sheet Cake! It will have your taste buds dancing!
- 2 Cups Flour
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp True Lemon Crystallized Lemon (a must have ingredient) (see note)
- 2 Tbs. Lemon Zest (2 medium-large Lemons)
- 1 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice (2 medium-large Lemons)
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp Lemon Extract
- Yellow Food Coloring
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 3/4 tsp True Lemon Crystallized Lemon
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 15x10x1 baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, crystallized lemon powder, and lemon zest.
- In a small pot, bring the butter, water and fresh lemon juice to a boil. While you are waiting for that to boil whisk the sour cream, eggs and lemon extract together in measuring cup or small bowl and set it aside for a moment.
- Stir the boiling butter/water/lemon juice into the flour mixture. Once mixed in add the sour cream/egg mixture and a bit of yellow food coloring.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven for 18 minutes.
- Place on a wire rack and immediately begin preparing the frosting.
- You must frost this cake while hot with warm frosting.
- For the frosting, whisk the powdered sugar and crystallized lemon powder together in mixing bowl.
- Bring the butter and milk to a boil in a small pot.
- Pour into the powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Immediately spread the warm frosting over the hot cake. The layer of frosting with seem thin, but trust me it is enough.
- Cool the cake completely before serving.
There is a picture in my post of what true lemon crystallized lemon looks like as well as a link to where you can buy it. I can find it in my local grocery store, but I don’t know if everyone can. You should also be able to substitute some True Lemon Lemonade drink mix for it as well.
Keywords: lemon bars, lemon cake