Don't you love to make your own bread? Nothing smells better than a loaf of bread baking in the oven! This easy recipe for fluffy whole wheat bread is absolutely delicious! You won't be able to resist a warm slice spread with butter!
- 1 1/2 Cups Warm Water
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 Tbs. Active Dry Yeast
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4 Tbs. Butter, room temp.
- 1 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/2-2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. Also to stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the honey, salt, butter, and 1 1/2 cups of wheat flour. Mix at a low speed.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour while the mixer is running. Mix until well combined.
- You may or may not need to add more flour at this point. You want the dough to come together in a sticky ball that mostly cleans the sides of the bowl, but still sticks to the bottom. Add more flour a little at a time if you need to. Lean more towards a stickier dough than a stiff dough.
- Knead in your mixer for 3 minutes. Then cover and let rise until doubled. This should take about an hour.
- Dump risen dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Shape it into a loaf sealing the seams well.
- Place the loaf in a bread pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cover and let rise until doubled (about a half hour to 45 minutes).
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Bake risen bread for 45-50 minutes. About half way through baking you will need to tent the wheat bread with foil to avoid over browning.
- Run a cube of butter over the top of the hot bread.
- Cool 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Do not substitute additional whole wheat flour for the white flour. Your dough will not rise if you do this leaving you with a dense, heavy loaf like a brick.
- Nutritional Disclaimer
Keywords: best whole wheat bread, homemade whole wheat bread, easy whole wheat bread recipe, kitchenaid whole wheat bread recipe