Homemade pie crust is a must for the perfect pie! Learn tips and tricks in my step by step instructions on how to make an amazing crust for your pies!
- ONE CRUST PIE:
- 1 1/2 Cups Flour
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Shortening
- 6–8 Tbs . Ice Water
- TWO CRUST PIE:
- 3 Cups Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Shortening
- 10–12 Tbs . Ice Water
- (For more detailed instructions please refer to my post)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Cut in the shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the ice water a tablespoon at a time. Only add enough water to bring the dough together and most of the flour is moistened and the dough is still a little crumbly. The dough should not be sticky.
- Dump the dough out onto wax paper and gather the dough into a roundish mound. Top with another piece of wax paper. Roll out into an 1/8 inch thick circle two inches bigger around than your pie plate.
- Remove the top layer of wax paper. Place the pie plate upside down on the pie dough and place one hand on top. Slide the other hand underneath the bottom piece of wax paper and carefully flip it over.
- Remove the wax paper and gently fit the pie dough into the pie plate. Do not stretch the dough.
- Either fill the pie with filling, possibly top with another crust, and bake. Or trim the edges, scallop if desired, score the bottom with a fork and bake at 450 degrees for 10 -15 minutes. Edges should be golden brown. Cool and fill as desired.
Keywords: pie dough, pie crust, pie, thanksgiving