This post contains affiliate links. For more info see my disclosure policy here.
Looking for a fun St. Patrick’s day treat? Try these gold coin butter cookies! They are easy, sweet and just might bring you good luck!
Are you looking for a treat idea for St. Patrick’s Day? Or do you have a pirate party in your future? Try these cute gold coin butter cookies! Butter cookies are actually one of my favorite cookies. They have a nice buttery flavor and are not overly sweet. They are also more of a crisp cookie. For some reason I really like crispy cookies opposed to soft and chewy. No idea why….just do. Anyway, try these fun cookies this Saint Patrick’s Day!!!
Make the cookie dough and chill it for 30 minutes. You can chill it for longer but you will need to let it warm up a little bit before you will be able to scoop it out. Preheat your oven to 350 and line some baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop out the dough by 1/2 tablespoonfuls. If you are doing this without a scooper you make need to roll them into ball shapes. These should be the size of gumballs. I scooped all my dough out into balls before rolling them through the sugar. If you do it this way too, just know that the dough balls might start to dry out a little making it hard for the sugar to stick. So you’ll need to cover the dough balls with a damp paper towel to keep them moist. After you have your balls of dough ready, roll them through gold sanding sugar.
Flatten the cookie balls slightly using the bottom of a small glass.
Then sprinkle the flatten tops with gold sugar crystals. Gently press them into the tops to help them stick. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe? If so, leave me a rating and a comment below!
Other recipes I know you’ll love!
Don’t forget to subscribe to get my newest recipes sent right to your email!
Looking for a last minute St. Patrick’s day treat? Try these gold coin butter cookies! They are easy, sweet and just might bring you good luck!
- 1 Cup Butter (no subs) (softened)
- 1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 Egg Whites
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour
- Gold Sanding Sugar
- Gold Sugar Crystals
- Cream the butter and powdered sugar. Add the egg whites and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, and flour, Cover and refridgate dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper or spraying them with non-stick cooking spray.
- Scoop the dough out by 1/2 tablespoonfuls. If you are not using a scooper you may need to roll the dough into balls. The dough balls should be about the size of a gumball.
- (If you are planning to scoop out all the dough into balls before rolling them through the sanding sugar, you will need to cover the balls with a damp paper towel to prevent them from drying out before you get to rolling them.)
- Roll the balls of dough through the gold sanding sugar and coat them completely. Place them on the prepared baking sheets.
- Slightly flatten each ball with the bottom of a drinking glass.
- Sprinkle the flattened tops with gold sugar crystals and press them slightly into the dough to help them stick.
- Bake the cookies at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Cool completely. Enjoy!
You can buy gold sanding sugar and gold sugar crystals at cooking specialty stores and some craft stores.
Keywords: Cookies, Saint Patrick's Day
Some things you may need for this recipe!
ANY NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS ON THIS SITE IS BASED ON AN ESTIMATE, CALCULATED BY NURTIFOX PLUGIN (OR OTHER THIRD-PARTY SOURCE) FROM THE INDIVIDUAL INGREDIENTS IN EACH RECIPE. VARIATIONS MAY OCCUR FOR VARIOUS REASONS, INCLUDING PRODUCT AVAILABILITY AND FOOD PREPARATION. WE MAKE NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF THE ACCURACY OF THIS INFORMATION.