Everybody needs a simple, moist and deeply chocolate cake recipe. Don't be afraid to try making one from scratch. Let me show you how with detailed instructions with pictures. Whether you need a layer cake or a 9x13 size I've got you covered!
- 2 1/4 cups Flour
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 cup Cocoa Powder (preferably Ghirardelli)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Boiling Water
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare to 9 inch cake pan by either greasing and flouring OR (my preferred method) cut parchment paper into circles to line the bottom of the cake pans then lightly spray the sides of the pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the eggs, olive oil, milk and vanilla. Mix well.
- With the mixer or beaters running pour the boiling water into the batter in a small steady stream.
- Mix until well combined.
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans. They will be quite full.
- Bake your chocolate cakes at 350 for 27-30 minutes. A toothpick should come out with moist sticky crumbs, not clean.
- Cool on wire racks for a half hour, then turn out of the pans to finish cooling.
- Frost and serve!
- This cake can be but does not need to be stored in the fridge.
- Do not substitute butter for the olive oil.
- Make sure the boiling water is BOILING water not just warm or hot.
- You can make cupcakes instead by lining cupcake tins with liners and filling 2/3s full with batter. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Cupcakes will not be rounded or domed. You will also likely get more than 24 cupcakes.
Keywords: simple moist chocolate cake, best chocolate cake, hersheys chocolate cake