Cream of asparagus soup is a light, subtle soup that would be great as a first course or a light lunch in the afternoon with a slice of french bread!
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1 lb. Asparagus
- 1/2 Cup Onion, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 5 Cups Chicken Broth
- 3 Cups Half and Half
- White Pepper
- Prepare the asparagus by chopping off the woody ends. Throw the woody ends away and chop up the remaining asparagus into pieces. You will be pureeing them so they don’t need to look perfect.
- Heat the butter to a light sizzle in the bottom of a soup pot.
- Once sizzling add the asparagus pieces and chopped onions. Saute’ for a minute or so.
- Add the flour and stir to make a pasty mixture.
- Stir in the chicken broth a bit at a time mixing well with each addition.
- Simmer the soup for 15-20 minutes or until the asparagus in cooked through.
- Pour the contents of the pot into a blend and puree.
- Return the soup to the pot and add the half and half.
- Heat the soup until hot all the way through but don’t let it boil.
- Remove from the heat, add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Keywords: asparagus, soup, cream soup, cream of asparagus soup