Creamy soups are one of the best comfort foods! This easy recipe gets it's cheesy flavor from freshly grated cheese or Velveeta. Your choice! Figure in that it's homemade with fresh broccoli and you've got a pretty healthy soup too!
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup chopped Onion
- 1 lb . chopped Broccoli Florets
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 5 Cups Chicken Broth
- 8 oz Velveeta Cheese (See note)
- 2 Cups Half and Half (slightly warmed)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp White Pepper
- Melt the butter in a soup pot.
- Once it's sizzling add the onion and broccoli. Sauté' for 3 to 4 minutes or until the onions start to look translucent and the broccoli is just slightly cooked.
- Add the flour. Stir until no white steaks remain.
- Add the chicken broth a little at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- Once all the chicken broth is added, cook at a low boil until the broccoli is tender.
- Pour the soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour back into the soup pot.
- Add the velveeta to the soup and whisk until melted over low heat.
- Don't bring the soup back to a boil after this point to avoid a grainy soup.
- Add the slightly warmed half and half, salt, and white pepper.
- Heat soup until it is hot, but not boiling.
- Any Velveeta flavor can be substituted for cheddar Velveeta.
- 1 1/2 - 2 Cups Freshly grated cheddar cheese can be substituted for the Velveeta.
Keywords: Broccoli soup, Cheesy Broccoli soup, healthy broccoli cheese soup, easy broccoli cheese soup, panera broccoli cheese soup