Have you heard others rave about Kneader’s french toast with caramel syrup? Trust me, my Cinnamon Swirl French Toast with Caramel Syrup is ten times better!
Cinnamon Swirl Bread
- 2 1/4 Cups Warm Water
- 1 1/2 Tbs. Active Dry Yeast
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 6 Tbs. room temp. Butter
- 2 tsp Salt
- 5–6 Cups Flour
- 4 Tbs. room temp. Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tbs. Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2–3 Tbs. Milk
- 3/4 Cup Butter
- 1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbs. Water
- 1 Cup Evaporated Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- Makes about 3 cups of Syrup
For the French Toast
- See the instructions for amounts.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, dissolve the yeast and 1/4 cupsugar in the warm water. Let stand 5 minutes to get foamy.
- Mix in the 6 Tbs.butter, salt, and 5 cups of the flour with a dough hook.
- Once well combined, add the last cup of flour 1/4 cup at a time until the dough forms a ball, pulls away from the sides of the bowl and is only slightly sticky to the touch. YOU MAY NOT NEED THE ENTIRE LAST CUP OF FLOUR.
- Knead for 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Cover the bowl with a dish cloth and allow dough to rise until doubled. This will take up to 45 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cup of sugar and tablespoon of ground cinnamon together.
- Dump the dough out on a lightly floured surface and divide in half.
- Roll the first half out into a long rectangle about 4 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick.
- Spread 2 Tbs. of butter over the rolled out dough. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the cinnamon sugar.
- Roll up into a tight, fat log. Pinch all the seams and the ends shut well. Place seam side down in a loaf pan that has been sprayed lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Cover with a dish towel, set aside and repeat with the other half of dough.
- Allow the loaves to rise until doubled, about another 45 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake the cinnamon swirl loaves for 45-50 minutes. After about 20 minutes of baking tent the loaves with tin foil to avoid over browning.
- Once the bread is done run a stick of butter over the tops and let cool in the pans for at least a half hour.
- Place a wire rack over a sheet of wax paper. Turn the loaves out on the wire racks to finish cooling.
- Whisk the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk together until turns to a glaze. Drizzle 1/2 the glaze over the still warm bread loaves. Drizzle the other half of the glaze over once the loaves are completely cool.
- For the caramel syrup, bring the butter, brown sugar, water and salt to a boil over medium heat.
- Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the evaporated milk and vanilla. Keep warm or reheat to use for syrup.
- For the french toast, preheat your griddle, and slice the cinnamon bread into thick slices.
- In a pie plate whisk together roughly 3 eggs, 1/2 cup milk and 1 tsp vanilla. Replenish as you go.
- Drip both sides of the bread in the egg mixture and cook on the griddle until golden brown on each side.
- Serve with warm caramel syrup.
Keywords: french toast, cinnamon swirl bread