Chicken Chimichangas! They may not be an authentic Mexican food, but topped with sour cream, guac, and tomatoes, they’re close enough for me!
- 1 Recipe Instant Pot Taco Chicken
- 1 Can Refried Beans
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 1 (8 oz) bag Taco, Mexican, or Spicy Cheese Blend
- 20 Flour Tortillas
- Oil for frying
- Guacamole, salsa, hot sauce, sour cream or anything else you’d like to top your chimichangas with.
- Fully prepare the instant pot taco chicken.
- Heat an 1/8 inch of cooking oil in a pan over medium heat while you prepare the chimichangas.
- Lay out a tortilla. (See note at end)
- Spread a small amount of refried beans in the center 3 inches of the tortilla.
- Sprinkle some black beans on the refried beans.
- Place some of the shredded chicken over the beans and sprinkle with cheese.
- Tuck in the edges and roll up like a burrito. I like to prepare all the chimichangas once and stack them in a pan so I’m not trying to make them while frying others. I usually get at least 15 and up to 20 chimichangas.
- When they’re ready and the oil is hot, carefully place the chimichangas in the hot oil and fry on each side until golden. Beware that sometimes juice from the chicken leaks out and it will make your oil pop and spit. I always keep my little ones back when I make these.
- Place fried chimichangas on a platter lined with paper towels.
- Serve with guac, salsa, sour cream or anything else you like!
Remember you don’t want to over fill the tortillas because they will be hard to roll up and the filling will leak out when frying. Less is more here. In fact I usually only use 1/2 the can of refried beans for this recipe.
Keywords: chimichangas, mexican