Chicken enchiladas wrapped in flour tortillas with a creamy white sauce and topped with melted cheese is a comfort food for any time of the year. This quick and easy chicken and cheese dish can be made ahead or even popped in the freezer for later!
- 1 Tbs. Butter
- 1/4 cup Green Onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 clove Garlic (minced)
- 1 (4 oz) can Diced Green Chiles
- 1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 2 cups Cooked, chopped up chicken
- 2 cups Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 8 Flour Tortillas
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, and diced green chiles together. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan on the stove, over medium heat melt the butter to a sizzle.
- Add the green onions and garlic.
- Lightly sauté' and add to the sauce mixture in the bowl. Mix well.
- Spoon 1 cup of the sauce into a medium bowl and whisk in the milk. Set this aside.
- Add the cooked and chopped up chicken and 1 cup of shredded cheese to the remaining sauce in the large bowl.
- Mix well.
- Lay 8 tortillas out across your countertop.
- Divide the chicken filling among all the tortillas spooning the filling down the center of each tortilla.
- Roll up and place seam side down in the prepared baking dish.
- Pour the remaining white sauce that you whisked the milk into over the tops of the enchiladas.
- Sprinkled the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- Cheese - Wondering what kind of cheese to use? For the most part I use Colby jack because I almost always have that kind in my fridge. However, the pre-shredded Mexican cheese or taco cheese blends will work just as well. I generally don't use just straight cheddar cheese though because it tends to be to oily. I also shy away from using mozzarella for this recipe.
- Chicken - you could use leftover rotisserie chicken instead of baked chicken breasts.
- Tortillas - I always use flour tortillas but you could substitute corn tortillas is you really wanted to. I don't think they hold together as well and with alter the overall taste of recipe.
- Diced Green Chiles - If you want more heat to this recipe get the hot diced green chilis. If you want a really mild heat then you can reduce the amount of chiles to 1/2 a can and use the mild ones.
- Butter - you can substitute olive oil for the butter.
Keywords: cheesy chicken enchiladas, easy chicken enchiladas, chicken and cheese enchiladas