Add this caramel cream pie to your must try list! You'll love this creamy caramel pie topped with whipped cream and drizzled with additional caramel! Makes one 8 inch pie.
- 1 Pre-made Nilla Wafer Crust
Caramel Cream Pie Filling
- 1/2 cup Butter (no substitutes)
- 1 cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 Tbs. Water
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbs Evaporated Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 8 oz Cream Cheese (softened)
- 1 cup Whipping Cream (*See note at end)
- 2 Tbs. Powdered Sugar (sifted)
Whipped Cream for Top
- 1 cup Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp Vanillla
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar (sifted)
- Over medium high heat, bring the butter, brown sugar, water and salt to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in 1/4 Cup of the evaporated milk and the vanilla. Pour 1/4 cup of the hot caramel into a container and whisk the remaining 1 Tbs. of evaporated milk into it. Cover and store in the fridge for drizzling over the top of the finished pie.
- Pour the rest of the hot caramel into a medium mixing bowl and set the medium bowl over a large bowl of ice to cool the caramel quickly. If using this method the caramel will be cool in 3-4 minutes. Stir the caramel here and there while it cools.
- Once cool, remove the medium bowl from over the bowl of ice and dry the bottom of the bowl. Beat the softened cream cheese into the caramel sauce. Beat until completely smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat the 1 cup of whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add the sifted 2 Tbs. of powdered sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold 1/3 of the whipped cream into the caramel cream cheese. Be sure to fold, not stir.
- Fold in the other 2/3s of the whipped cream in two additions.
- Spread the caramel cream pie filling into the Nilla Wafer crust and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- After the chilling time, beat 1 cup whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add the sifted 1/4 cup of powder sugar and the vanilla. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Pipe over the top of the caramel cream pie. Drizzle the reserved caramel sauce over the top of the pie.
- Enjoy! Store leftovers in the fridge.
I used regular whipping cream in this recipe instead of heavy whipping cream. I felt like the heavy cream made this pie far to dense and rich. However, if you want to use heavy cream it will work, too.
Keywords: thanksgiving, pie, cream pie