Try this unique yet easy twist on a classic apple pie! No cinnamon or cloves! Just a descant caramel sauce baked with apple slices in a flakey pie crust! Top a big slice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle with extra caramel for an unforgettable dessert!
- Unbaked Pie Dough for a 9 inch double crust pie
- 1/2 cup Butter (no subs)
- 3 Tbs . Flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 1/2 cups Sliced Granny Smith or Gala Apples (about 4 or 5 apples)
- Prepare your crusts.
- Line the bottom of a 9 inch glass pie plate with the bottom crust.
- Have the top crust rolled out and ready to cover the pie.
- Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium high heat.
- Whisk in the flour to form a paste.
- Add white sugar, brown sugar, and water all at once.
- Whisk until smooth and bring to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside for a moment.
- Peel and slice the apples thinly and uniformly.
- Dump into the prepared pie plate.
- Pour the hot caramel sauce over the apple slices. (If you're wanting to drizzle caramel sauce over individual slices reserve 1/3 cup of the caramel)
- Cover the pie with the top crust and make slits for steam to escape.
- Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Reduce the temperature to 350 and continue to bake for another 40 minutes.
- Cool pie on a cooling rack for 30-40 minutes before serving.
- - Granny Smith apples hold up the best. They don't become mush when baking and while their tart flavor is toned down while still retaining their flavor.
- Pie Crust - You will need a double unbaked pie crust for this recipe. You can use your favorite crust recipe, purchase a crust or use my recipe for a homemade crust.
- Salted Caramel Variation - For a salted caramel apple pie sprinkle the apple pie filling with sea salt before covering with the top crust.
Keywords: caramel apple pie, salted caramel apple pie, easy apple pie