I'm always on the look out for Christmas cookies my kids can help me make during the holiday season. They can unwrap kisses while start the cookie dough then help scoop the cookies onto the pan. Plus, you'll love the heavenly peppermint aroma that fills your kitchen while these bake!
- 1 cup Butter Flavored Shortening (do not sub. butter or margarine)
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Peppermint Extract
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 1/4 cups Flour
- 70 Hershey Candy Cane Kisses (a 10 oz. bag)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray your baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray or line them with parchment paper.
- Unwrap and coarsely chop the candy cane kisses.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter flavored shortening and sugars.
- Beat in the eggs, vanilla, and peppermint extracts.
- Mix in the baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in half the flour, then the chopped up candy cane kisses, then the last of the flour.
- Scoop the dough out by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets and bake at 350 for 8 minutes for soft chewy cookies, browned bottom edges not browned tops. Or 10 minutes for crisper chewy cookies, golden brown all over.
- Cool and eat!
- - If you find you don't have this in your cupboard or you prefer not to add peppermint extract it's ok. The cookies won't be as pepperminty but will still be good.
- Candy Cane Kisses - This recipe calls for 70 candy cane kisses. This is at least a 10 ounce bag. The bag sizes seem to vary year to year and sometimes I just want to get the large bag. As long as you have 70 kisses you're covered.
- Butter Flavored Shortening- Using shortening in this recipe is what makes them work. If you want to substitute half butter you can but I wouldn't substitute all of it. It's also important to use the butter flavored shortening. Regular shortening will make these taste borderline nasty.
Keywords: candy cane cookies, peppermint cookies, easy Christmas cookies, peppermint chocolate chip cookies