Mini desserts make amazing appetizers for any occasion! Learn how to make these easy but fancy little cream filled pastries right in your very own kitchen!
Cream Puff Filling
- 1 (3.4 oz) pkg. Instant Vanilla Pudding
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 (8 oz) container Cool Whip
Cream Puff Pastry
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Butter (no substitutes)
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Flour
- 4 Eggs
Chocolate for Tops
- 1 (7 oz) container Baker's Dipping Chocolate
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
Cream Puff Filling
- Start by mixing up the cream puff filling so it can refrigerate while the cream puffs are prepared.
- In a small bowl whisk the pudding mix and powdered sugar together.
- Whisk in the milk.
- Once the pudding starts to thicken a little, fold in the cool whip.
- Cover and place in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly spray two baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan combine the water, butter, and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the flour all at once, stirring vigorously.
- Cook and stir until mixture comes together in a ball. This only takes a few seconds.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the eggs one at a time stirring well after each addition.
- Drop by 1/2 Tablespoonfuls on prepared baking sheets.
- You should get 24 cream puffs on each pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 22-25 minutes. Cream puffs should be golden brown on the tops. Don't open the oven to peek while they are baking or your cream puffs will collapse. Just turn on you oven light to check them.
- Cool baked cream puffs on a wire rack.
- Once they are completely cool. Fill a pastry bag with a #10 tip with some of the cream puff filling.
- Carefully poke a small hole in the side near the bottom of the cream puff with your finger.
- Insert the pastry tip and fill the cream puff with filling.
- Place filled cream puffs on a wax paper lined baking sheet.
- Melt the dipping chocolate according to package instructions.
- Drizzle on the tops of the filled cream puffs.
- Place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to cool and harden the chocolate quickly. Serve.
- Cream puffs can be stored in an loosely covered container in the fridge for a day.
- Yes, you will be using both the whites and the yolks for the cream puff pastry.
- Only use the light in your oven to check on the baking cream puff shells. The steam builds up in the puffs to make them puff up. Opening your oven a bunch will cause the steam to escape before the pastry shell is cooked and they'll collapse.
- You will have enough filling for 1 1/2 batches of cream puffs. I don't recommend doubling or 1 1 1/2ing the recipe because this pastry dough should be cooked as should as it is made for the cream puffs to inflate properly. While my first batch of cream puffs are cooking, I wash my pot and make another 1/2 batch.
Keywords: cream puffs, eclairs, pot de creme, mini cream puffs, mini cream puff recipe, cream puffs recipe easy