I wait all year long to eat these Caramel Frosted Butter Cookies! These are one of my favorite Christmas cookies! The rich caramel flavor is irresistible!
- 1 1/2 Cups Butter (room temperature)
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup White Sugar
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 Cup Flour
- 3/4 Cup Butter
- 1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/4 Cups Powdered Sugar (sifted)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray baking sheets with non stick cooking spray or line them with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and the sugars. Mix in the egg yolks, vanilla and salt. Stir in the flour, mixing well.
- Scoop out the dough by 1/2 tablespoonfuls and roll into balls. Each ball should be the size of a gumball. Place on prepared baking sheets. I was able to cook 20 cookies per pan.
- Flatten each cookie with a fork in a criss cross pattern. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes. These cookies won’t brown until they are overdone, so don’t wait for them to brown or they will be crispy.
- Cool the cookies completely on a cooling rack.
- While the cookies are cooling prepare the frosting. In a small pot melt the butter. Whisk in the brown sugar and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla and sweetened condensed milk.
- Whisk in the sifted powdered sugar a 1/4 cup at a time. It is important that the powdered sugar be sifted to avoid lumps.
- This frosting needs to kept warm as you are frosting the cookies. You can leave the pot of frosting on the stovetop over the lowest heat. Make sure to stir it here and there so it doesn’t burn. OR if you have a chocolate dipping crockpot or a little dipper crockpot for dips you can put the frosting in one of these to keep the frosting warm while you frost.
- Frost each cookie and allow the frosting to cool and set. Store in an airtight container with wax paper separating the layers of cookies.
Keywords: butter cookies, christmas cookie