Whether you know them as Mexican wedding cookies, Russian tea cookies or snowballs, you know you crave them! Beware of their melt in your mouth buttery sweet flavor with a hint of nuts because you can't just eat one! Trust me!
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter ((no substitutes))
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup finely chopped Almond Slivers
- 2 1/4 cups Flour
- 2 cups Additional Powdered Sugar for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper or lightly spraying with non-stick cooking spray.
- Finely chop the nuts and set them aside for a moment.
- Cream the butter and powdered sugar.
- Add the vanilla and salt.
- Add the almonds and flour. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Scoop out dough in 1/2 Tablespoon scoops.
- Roll into balls with your hands. (see note) They should be about the size of gumballs.
- Place on baking sheets. I put 20 on a pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 13 minutes. These cookies won't brown other that the very bottoms.
- Roll baked hot cookies through the powdered sugar as soon as they come out of the oven. Set on a wire rack to cool.
- Once completely cool, roll the cookies through the powdered sugar again. Eat!
- If all you have is salted butter don't worry. Just omit the 1/4 tsp of salt.
- The dough should not be sticky but should be moist enough to roll into a ball. If you dough is crumbling instead of shaping add 1/2 Tbs of water to the cookie dough, mix it and try again. I find I need to do this when the humidity in the air is very low.
Keywords: snowball cookies, almond snowball cookies, pecan snowball cookies