Attention Almond Joy Lovers! Get your fix with these easy Almond Coconut Macaroon Bars! This simple recipe has all the coconutty nuttiness you crave!
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Roughly chop the almonds.
- In one mixing bowl, stir together the flaked coconut, sweetened condensed milk, salt and almond extract. Mix very well.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the almonds and coconut mixture into the egg whites.
- Press the almond coconut macaroon mixture into the baking dish lined with parchment paper. (See note)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. The edges and top should just be starting to brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly across the top. Return to the oven for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spread the now melted chocolate chips over the macaroon bars. Cool on a wire rack, then refrigerate for about 4 hours to set the chocolate before cutting and serving.
Parchment paper for this recipe is a must!!! If you want to be able to get your almond coconut macaroon bars out of the baking dish you must use parchment paper. It can be a little tricky to press the almond coconut macaroon mixture into the baking dish without the parchment sliding around, so if you notice in the picture above I have used office clips to hold the parchment paper in place while I press the mixture into the pan. After you've pressed it in you can remove the clips.
Keywords: Coconut Macaroons